valve lash?

Lostnwalmart

Ok so i have a question for all of you guys, what do you set your valve lash to. I have seen .010 intake and .020 exhaust is what most people say for 12 and 24 valve trucks. However in class the other day i was reading my isb manual and it said that .010 intake and .020 exhauste was doe the 12 valves and the 24 valves was .010 intake and .012 exhaust? And the 24 valve engines we have in clas say on them intake .010 exhauste .012 i was jsut wondering if you guys have ever heard this or if you run them a lil ooser on th exhaust side for a reason
-cliff

The specs for the 24v Cummins engine is:

Intake: 0.006 - 0.015
Exhaust: 0.015 - 0.030

Doug

the factory specs for a 24v common rail cummins is .10 intake, and .20 exhaust, its printed on the ladel mounted on the drivers side of the breather cover, however you can set .09 and .19 but becareful as you will get valve lash and rattle...

Theres nothing wrong with a little valvetrain chatter... as long as you know its due to the valve lash settings. I know two 30+ year diesel mechs and one prefers his settings a bit on the loose side and the other prefers it on the tighter side. Most companies will give a +/- spec on valve lash... I know Cummins, CAT, and International do... I think maybe Detroit is one that gives you one specific setting.

I spec mine from .08 - .10 intake and .18-.20 exhuast. I usually like to keep them on the tighter end.

the factory specs for a 24v common rail cummins is .10 intake, and .20 exhaust, its printed on the ladel mounted on the drivers side of the breather cover, however you can set .09 and .19 but becareful as you will get valve lash and rattle...

:Cheer:Tighter does not equal louder

Back