Valve Lash...?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
I've heard a lot of things on this subject and want to know whats true and whats not, and what is best for truck pulling. Right now I'm running .018" and .008 which seemed to quiet the truck down a bit and run a little crisper, but how much tighter can/should I go or is it not a good idea? One of our instructors in diesel school claimed the tighter your valve lash, the more horsepower you can make, especially if running more RPMS. I've even heard another 5hp roughty for every .001" tighter. I know we had a C12 CAT on the dyno at school we were messing with and got more power the tighter we went on valve lash. I know I've heard of gaser guys saying to put them at 0 lash for an all out racing motor but longevity and reliability go out the window. But for truck pulling what is best? I've heard it can help or hurt spooling turbos? I've heard you can run them at 0 or pretty tight but must check them after each run to make sure everything is still good as you can risk burning a valve running tight.

I've thought about .015 and .005 when pulling, dynoing or some competition, then loosening them back up to .018 and .008 right after the run or when I'm gonna drive the truck on the street again. Is that too tight? a bad idea? or what is best for truck pulling? Will it help but is it a risk ya take of burning a valve(s)?