valve lash

Twisted Shifter

I have guy that would like me to help him set the valve lash on his 03 CR ......

I have done it many many times on my 12V ..... is it the same only I have to set at a time?

NOTE: To obtain accurate readings, valve lash measurements AND adjustments should only be performed when the engine coolant temperature is less than 60°C (140°F).

The 24-valve overhead system is a "low-maintenance" design. Routine adjustments are no longer necessary, however, measurement should still take place when trouble-shooting performance problems, or upon completion of a repair that includes removal and installation of the valve train components or injectors.

Disconnect battery negative cables.
Remove cylinder head cover.

Using the crankshaft barring tool # 7471-B, rotate crankshaft to align damper TDC mark to 12:00 o'clock position.
If both number one cylinder rocker levers are loose, continue to next step.
If both number one cylinder rocker levers are not loose, rotate crankshaft 360 degrees.

Valve Lash Limit Chart

Measure the valve lash by inserting a feeler gauge between the rocker arm socket and crosshead. Refer to Valve Lash Limit Chart for the correct specifications. Measure the valve lash at the following rocker arms:
INTAKE 1-2-4
EXHAUST 1-3-5 .
If adjustment/resetting is required, loosen the lock nut on rocker arms and turn the adjusting screw until the desired lash is obtained:
INTAKE: 0.254 mm (0.010 in.)
EXHAUST: 0.508 mm (0.020 in.)

Tighten the lock nut to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) and re-check the valve lash.

Using the crankshaft barring tool, rotate the crankshaft one revolution (360°) to align the damper TDC mark to the 12 o'clock position.
With the engine in this position, valve lash can be measured at the remaining rocker arms:
INTAKE 3-5-6
EXHAUST 2-4-6
Use the same method as above for determining whether adjustment is necessary, and adjust those that are found to be outside of the limits.

Install the cylinder head cover.
Connect the battery negative cables.

Attachments

• 89084746.gif
    89084746.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 102913628.gif
    102913628.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 30