Valve seat options/results

jkidd_39

I am in the middle of my cylinder head build on a 2005 24v cummins.

It will have a 188/220 cam.

I am hoping to get some opinions of valve seat angles. I am planning on running all exhaust valves and changing to the 30 degree valve seat.

Has anyone done this and what kind of results if any did they see??

I realize this is such a small change that the results may be hard to see. Or that the seat change was done in conjunction with a bunch of other changes.

From the info I've found it seems like the cam i am going to use wont take advantage of such a change. But if i decide to say F a/c and go with a really big primary and a bigger cam like a 200/232 i will see gains there. We are already going to replace the seats and valves so IM thinking why not.

Thanks guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I would check with Snedge to mate the correct valves to seats. Don't put a soft seat on a hard valve. The results are expensive.

I know the machine shop that I have been dealing with for years always say if its going to be more of a DD to go with a 3 angle valve job and if its more for race than go to a 5 angle.

Wayne

Thanks guys. I talker with snedge. We will be ordering OEM exhaust valves with the proper matching seat. Just seeing if anyone played with seat angles. And it will be getting a valve job.

the 3 angle and 5 angle are old news , it’s a smooth infinite angle cutter that makes the best air flow. Chris Franks at Frankenstein racing heads use a MolStar 90 seat material, to transfer heat best. Greg Young at ZZ custom fabrication uses a special seat material for street heads.

The stock intake 30 degree seat are better at low lift stock heads the 45 degree seat which is stock on the exhaust is a better flowing seat if you’re wanting better flow with a bigger cam and higher lifts.
The exhaust valves are better materials and fit in the intake with a seat angle change.

^^^^^ this.

You may want to talk to EEP about their seats also. Stock seats are well known to come loose. EEP makes their own I believe with has a different content to the material ( more nickel ) to hold up better.

^^^^^ this.

You may want to talk to EEP about their seats also. Stock seats are well known to come loose. EEP makes their own I believe with has a different content to the material ( more nickel ) to hold up better.

EEP??? empire??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2