Valve springs

JohhnyFoxtrot

need a trailer
A Question arose in another thread about Your springs needing new tappets to be ran with a Helix 2 cam. Just trying to hear the correct info from the horses mouth if you will. Its in a CR '06 if that helps.

A Question arose in another thread about Your springs needing new tappets to be ran with a Helix 2 cam. Just trying to hear the correct info from the horses mouth if you will. Its in a CR '06 if that helps.

no, it was new tappets being needed if you replace your cam...not the springs.

Well I am putting in both. Or I should say I have both in the garage to be installed this winter with other stuff. All stuff is new.

I haven't heard of a single failure. The only cams I have seen fail were due to water contamination from a head gasket failure, and one with a guy using non-detergent 30W oil for break in. As long as you use a good cam lube and quality oil you will be fine. BTW what is the lobe width on your f-1 camshaft?

Zach Hamilton

That will take a nother day to answer I have to get ahold of peopld at home to check, but I will and post.

Thanks Zach for the answer.

I was just looking at the f-1 website trying to gauge the width of the cam lobe and it apears the cam they have is off of an early model Datsun. Has anybody ever noticed that? Just wandering. Is there any Datsun 280Z owners that can confirm? I might take a picture of a ferrari camshaft to help me sell my cummins cams. That mindset seems to work. 4.6liter, Datsun, Cummins......... whatever

Yes its a good avatar and yes its a Helix 2 your cam wasn
t out when I bought this cam.

Talked to Geoff today. He used to race Datsun 280Z's back in the good ole days when Big Hair rock bands oned the air waves. He has ground thousands of them and he agreed it was a 280z cam. I can't get how people sell diesel cams based on Datsun cam pictures.

I apologize, back on topic. Yes they should. Makes sure you use a good assembly lubricant. Be very liberal with it. Also for added insurance, use either GM EOS or zddp+. Break in is the most critical point in any cams life so using one of these will insure your cam won't fail due to low zinc oils. GM eos was formulated to break in cams on gas engines after the zinc was taken out of their oil due to catalytic converter failure. It works great on diesels.

Zach

Thanks Zach for the info. I am also going to shot a pm your way about a thing or two if you can help me out.