VE pumped 12v going into 87 Chevy K10. Tranny opinions wanted

Whitbread

As title says, I'm getting ready to put a ve pumped 12v out of a bus into my 87 K10. However, I'm running into a bit of a stumbling block regarding the transmission choice. Not a single one of my vehicles is an auto and I intend to keep it that way with this truck :drive:

The motor at most will get the pump played with, a he351ve turbo (have a couple laying around), and maybe a small set of injectors way down the road. It's mostly just an off road toy that hauls wood on occasion. My main goal of the swap is to break 10mpg for the first time ever haha. Being that the truck is a shortbed reg cab, a divorced t case isn't an option and neither is swapping the pass side drop kingpin 60 out.

I'm mainly looking at either a nv4500 or a getrag g360. But, I need a pass side drop t case. Can a first gen 29 spline np205 be mounted to a nv4500? Or since I'm not pushing silly power or towing heavy loads, would the getrag live for me? I'm handy enough to rebuild or tear into and modify a trans if need be.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I would do the nv4500 since you are starting from scratch.
The 205 will bolt up to a nv4500. 1st gen guys do it all the time with the nv4500 swaps.

Sweet, thanks Crewcab.

Now to find either of those without selling my left nut...

Should be able to find a 1st gen 205 fairly easily. I know of a couple trucks in my area that are converting to 271s for their pullers.

I have been having a hard time finding a 29 spline 205. There are all kinds of 23 spline from the autos around. I found one so far and they want $700 for it with new bearings and seals.

Don't shy away from a getrag if one comes available. If treated right, they can and will live behind some pretty serious horsepower.

Don't shy away from a getrag if one comes available. If treated right, they can and will live behind some pretty serious horsepower.

Yup! Brian Block kept one alive behind a 600HP VE pump twin turbo'd motor...for a little while. LOL :hehe:

The 205's are easier to find on rock crawler/4x4 forums like pirate4x4.com. The 23 spline are more common