ve rpm?

cj41190

detroit power
im fairly green as far as these ve pumps are conserned. my project is a 350 to 400 hp marine conversion. the only info i cant find is what can u make for rpm's with a ve pump, i kno it can support my hp goal. will the ve pump still provide full fuel around 3400 to 3600 rpm at this hp or will i have to upgrade to a p pump?

VE will be fine. If you mod the throttle linkage and put a 4200 spring and 60# valvesprings, you will have full fuel to 3500 no prob.

VE will be fine. If you mod the throttle linkage and put a 4200 spring and 60# valvesprings, you will have full fuel to 3500 no prob.

Is there a write up on this anywhere? I'm curious how to modify the linkage. And which spring is a 4200 spring? TIA

Jake

im fairly green as far as these ve pumps are conserned. my project is a 350 to 400 hp marine conversion. the only info i cant find is what can u make for rpm's with a ve pump, i kno it can support my hp goal. will the ve pump still provide full fuel around 3400 to 3600 rpm at this hp or will i have to upgrade to a p pump?

Your going to run at those rpm's in a boat? For extended times?

its going to be a compleat overhaul including moded ve pump, marine cam, valve springs, 370 injectors, custom water cooled exaust, wet turbo and closed fresh water cooling system and air to water intercooler.

A VE isn't going to last forever at those RPM's at a 100% duty cycle... It might last a thousand hours or two, but that's faster than I'd be comfortable on a continual basis for a 12mm VE pump. Somewhere between 2500-3000 RPM the pump's longevity starts decreasing exponentially; 3500 RPM equates to the rotor reciprocating at 175 strokes per second, whereas a P-pump would have six plungers reciprocating at less than 30 strokes per second.

I'd seriously consider going to a different gear or prop to let you get more out of less RPM. If you do find yourself running a VE pump for prolonged periods above 3000 RPM, totally ensure that you have good, cool fuel pressure going into the pump to stretch the pump life as much as possible.

Well I don't know how happy it will be at those rpm's but they do still sell the B, QSB that is, with the common rail fuel system in the upper 400 horse power range. It is a low duty cycle. Less then 20% at rated hp rings a bell. I feel sorry for any b with a long duty cycle over 300 horses or 3000 rpm's.

we will be building a few pairs of these motors one pair is goint to be between 300 and 350 hp due to gear and outdrive constraints. after that we will be building anouther pair with aprox 600 + hp, p pumped ofcorse for a kevlar hulled race boat. these untis wont be anywhere near 100% duty cycle im looking for a cruising speed of aprox 2500 to 2900 max with a wot of possibly 3500 to 3800 rpm. estimated run time will prob be around 300 hrs per year with very little wot time. cummmins is pulling 480 hp out of there newest marine 5.9

we will be building a few pairs of these motors one pair is goint to be between 300 and 350 hp due to gear and outdrive constraints. after that we will be building anouther pair with aprox 600 + hp, p pumped ofcorse for a kevlar hulled race boat. these untis wont be anywhere near 100% duty cycle im looking for a cruising speed of aprox 2500 to 2900 max with a wot of possibly 3500 to 3800 rpm. estimated run time will prob be around 300 hrs per year with very little wot time. cummmins is pulling 480 hp out of there newest marine 5.9

Yeah, with really stout pistons, a lot higher fuel pressure and atomization, and a head that flows a lot more that your 12v's...apples to oranges.

Just make sure you have good airlfow, and good cooling...since you're in a boat, find some air to water intercoolers and get some COOL air in there;)

Chris

very true. Ive been told that the 24v head dosent flow a whole lot more than the 12v, but i could be wrong. as far as these cummins im fairly new, im a detroit guy. from the reading and calling around that ive done there shouldent be a huge issue building these up to 300 or so.