Very hard starting when cold, why?

AMMO22

BANNED
For a couple of days now, my truck has been acting like it doesn't want to start when it has been sitting for a few hours. Once I get it started and its warm, it starts like a champ. But if its cold, I can run my battery dead trying to start it. If I leave the key on for a while then crank, it seems to do better.
What could be the cause of this?

Would fuel filters be an issue (they aren't more than 9k miles old)?
Would glow plugs be the culprit?

Thanks everyone.

CLimb under and see if you have oil leaking from the top rear of the engine.

I'll check on the ICP sensor when I get home, those things are just so got-dang hard to get to on a 2003. Has anyone found an easy way to get to it?

I just had the HPOP replaced 6-7 months ago at the dealership. If its that, that part is under warranty for a year.

when my ICP sensor was leaking, and HPOP cover, i didnt have hard cold starting. or any hard starting whatsoever.

Garrett

Does it smoke white while cranking? If so it is not oil or injection related. It would be a glow plug relay problem. If it does not smoke white while cranking it would be an oil issue.

It could be the glow plugs or the glow pulg controller. I don't the fuel filter would be after 9 k miles. At least this is what I have seen when I worked for Ford.

I charged the batteries up overnight and it starts like normal now. I talked to Nate at Strictly Diesel in Pheonix and he seemed to think it was the batteries going bad, turns out thats it.

my truck has problems starting when its cold too..if i dont plug it in it will just crank. I even had smoke coming from around the turbo.

its warmer here now around 75 today and when i first start it up, it just fires up REALLY LOUD and then idles for a little like its cammed out. I was told it could be my spool valve or valves. Im about to get new injectors and see what happens from there. I honestly dont understand why it starts up so rough. my truck is always running dj looney, if i put it back to stock before i start it up then it runs a little rough but nothing like when its on a tune. And yes mine also puts out white smoke, then hazes a little for like 2 mins

Back