VGT-HO with 190's?

bassn_07

How many of you think this would be a good match? From what I hear it will be a little more laggy than stock but if I install my 4.10's it should help...right? I will do some summer towing and it's a daily driver so driveablitly is a must. I did have the VGT-SS but due to some circumstances I might have the option of going to the VGT-HO so please give all opionions no matter if you believe VGT-SS, VGT-HO, or non VGT.

I will be honest. I like my combo with 190s and the vgt-ss. It still needed more. I had to pull some fuel out wiht that combo. I know Ryan is running 200s with the -ho but I dont think he knows what he can do cause his trans has been gone since last fall. I hear it pull great but how can he tell with a blown trains. I would love to see someone try that combo.

Im a firm believer that the non-vgt is the way to go. if not I would get the -ho and try it

Rob said it. My VGT ss and 200s was a great combo and so was robs with his 190s. They ran strong and worked well with spray. My new combo with the HO in theory is better and seems to be running better but with a bad tranny, its not as easy to tell. Im not sure if the HO is very towing compatible but you never know. I havent had any surging issues with it so I guess time will tell.

I think the 190's and the VGT-SS was the best combo that I had for the street. Lots of power and quick spool up. Give DJ a call and he will tell you the same thing.

i run 190s and a non vgt from elite the driveabilty is not much different than stock but alot faster than stock. the non vgt is the way to go i wish i would have done it a long time ago. :rockwoot:

Thanks Rob and Ryan - I just got off the phone with Tadd and he also recommended the HO for my application and needs. After getting feedback he believe the 190's will work well with the HO. After talking with Ryan and Tadd it seems that lag will be minimal and frequent towing will not be a problem. Thanks guys for the input, we'll soon see.

I think the 190's and the VGT-SS was the best combo that I had for the street. Lots of power and quick spool up. Give DJ a call and he will tell you the same thing.

I spoke to DJ earlier today and he was leaning towards the VGT-SS but told me to speak with Tadd himself and see what he thinks. After speaking with Tadd and telling him exactly what I'll be doing with the truck he ended up recommending the VGT-HO with the 190's. I also spoke with Ryan(owned both turbo’s) and he’s very happy with both but feels the HO feels a little stronger. Ryan runs 200cc with the HO and still has room to spray so 190's might work good with the HO. It's a hard decision and there are many running the VGT-SS with 190's with a lot of success, including Bryan, the owner of one of the fastest 6.0's out there. This whole turbo thing is definitely one of the toughest mods I have to date (choosing), there are so many variations now. Many will say non vgt over vgt and vice versa, but after doing tons of research and asking everyone tons of questions I feel that I have enough info to feel comfortable about purchasing the HO. Time will tell and if this fails it might be time for compounds.:ft::ft:

I can only tell you the VGT-SS works great because I havent tried the HO but I have heard the HO works very good also. If Tadd recomends it then that is what i would do.

For you guys running the 190's with a VGT-SS, is this a good combo without nitrous? I have the turbo in already, and am planning on studs, injectors, regulated return system, and a FASS or AirDog this summer. I want to stick with fuel only, and I'd like to know if 190's might be too much for that turbo.

Also, is there anybody who knows what regulated return system matches up the best with a FASS or AirDog setup?

TailboardJockey, I have 190's and a fake vgt-ss and if you want to clean it up nitrous is a must. As far as fuel systems go, DJ's fuel + would be fine without the Fass or Airdog. My gauge doesn't lie(no pressure probs-drops slightly at wot but picks right back up), but if it bothered you it would be no problem to delete the regulator and keep the bigger feed lines which are def. needed. Nobody is pulling your leg about the vgt-ss, it is probably the best single vgt option for a DD, I would think about some smaller sticks if you don't want nos, 165's maybe and that would be a sweet setup for all around use and towing. Call DJ, he will point you in the right direction or get you to the right person that will. I know he did my mods, except for the fake vgt(my own blunder-shoulda listened to DJ). I have more smoke and higher egt's than I would like for DD.

Last edited:
I just picked my truck up with the 190's and VGT-HO installed but I still haven't received the correct tunes from Elite. I talked to Elite today to see what's up with my tunes and I was supposed to see them by end of today...no tunes. Hopefully tomorrow. However, I did load the insanity tune that was made for the SS and I only saw 30 pounds of boost but it was instant. I should be seeing somewhere around 40-47 but I don't have the right tunes and my Fass still needs to installed. The Fass will be going on in the next couple of weeks.

Here's how it felt on the few test runs I did take. I was warned that if I floored it anywhere from 15-20 I would be chasing my rearend...and I did. As for EGT's, I saw about 750 between 65-70 and with that tune the smoke wasn't that bad until I had to lay into the pedal a bit, then it was black out for anyone behind me. I really feel that this will end up being the right combo and daily driving shouldn't be a problem at all. I really didn't want to push it anymore until I get my fuel system installed otherwise I'll be buying new injectors again.

I just picked my truck up with the 190's and VGT-HO installed but I still haven't received the correct tunes from Elite. I talked to Elite today to see what's up with my tunes and I was supposed to see them by end of today...no tunes. Hopefully tomorrow. However, I did load the insanity tune that was made for the SS and I only saw 30 pounds of boost but it was instant. I should be seeing somewhere around 40-47 but I don't have the right tunes and my Fass still needs to installed. The Fass will be going on in the next couple of weeks.

Here's how it felt on the few test runs I did take. I was warned that if I floored it anywhere from 15-20 I would be chasing my rearend...and I did. As for EGT's, I saw about 750 between 65-70 and with that tune the smoke wasn't that bad until I had to lay into the pedal a bit, then it was black out for anyone behind me. I really feel that this will end up being the right combo and daily driving shouldn't be a problem at all. I really didn't want to push it anymore until I get my fuel system installed otherwise I'll be buying new injectors again.

jealousy. :bow:

I received tunes from Elite today and after loading I went for a joy ride. The first thing I noticed was better drivability with the new tune. The shift are very firm and crisp. There is slightly more lag then stock (which was expected) but not too bad at all. Egt's on the freeway cruising at 7o on flat ground was around 800. There is always a slight haze when driving normal and with any acceleration it lays down some pretty heavy smoke. As for boost pressure I still don’t' see anything above 32 psi but that's probably because of fuel or lack of it. My fuel pressure dropped down to 35 or maybe slightly less...I know it's not good for the injectors but I just wanted to see how it felt with the new tunes. I know Ryan (BLKon35’s) is seeing somewhere around 45-47 and we are both at sea level. Could the lack of fuel really cause this much of a difference in boost or is there something else possibly going on. Ryan and I have almost the identical setup besides my 190's and his 200's and as of now my stock fuel pump with DJ's intensifier and his Fass 150 with DJ's intensifier. I just really have a hard time believing that there could be anything wrong with my truck because it runs so damn strong.

I will probably need a street tune for my area because the cops in the city I work in are somewhat strict. Is it possible to get a street tune that will get rid of that haze? I’ll leave the all out Insanity tune for both weekend and track days?

Marc and I will be installing the fuel system this Saturday. Hopefully we'll get everything worked out. I know it's not always about the boost but after speaking with Tadd he says I should be in the 40 range.