Vibration and odd smell!!

9jhester

I need a little help, maybe a lot.

To start off i changed out the Rear Dana 70 under my truck after failure of my old rear end after 215k. While doing so i figured i would replace the sway bar links and the shocks. 2 hours later is was sway bar links 1 me 0. Anyways i finally got everything done and put back together. Only thing i didnt replace was the u-joint.

Now to my problem after about 500 miles of driving i have developed a slight vibration between the 30-40 MPH range. At lower speeds theres nothing and higher speeds you do not seem to feel it. Any idea what this could be. Do you think it could be the U-joint?

Also over the last couple of weeks i have started to notice a odd smell from under the hood. I almost figured it to be the smell of blow by untill one day i noticed a small trail of antifreeze leaking from right under the drivers side of the radiator. This led me to believe the smell could be antifreeze. Anyways i have never saw the leak again but still have the smell and its getting worse.

Help!! Haha :bow:

Thanks in advance!

Justin

When you changed your rear end did you swap out the internals or complete axle? if the internals maybe something isnt lined up quite right, if I remember right the tolerances are tight. could also be that u-joint I'd look make sure the snap rings are good and solid

A newer tighter transmission is likely to show off things that hadn't been noticed before like a bad u joint... That might be it... Also the funny smell thing could be anything it depends on what it smells like... Lol there are alot of smells you will NEVER forget after the first time :p

When you changed your rear end did you swap out the internals or complete axle? if the internals maybe something isnt lined up quite right, if I remember right the tolerances are tight. could also be that u-joint I'd look make sure the snap rings are good and solid

I should have been more specific. I basically just swapped the entire axle caliper to caliper. Gears looked in excellent shape when cover has off.

A newer tighter transmission is likely to show off things that hadn't been noticed before like a bad u joint... That might be it... Also the funny smell thing could be anything it depends on what it smells like... Lol there are alot of smells you will NEVER forget after the first time :p

Right im going to check on the U-joint in the morning if the rain will hold off.

The smell is online outside of the truck all around the hood area and honestly smell like someone who hasnt had a shower in weeks. Its bad lol.

I really thought it was the smell of blow-by as it gets a terrible odor on some trucks, after seeing the antifreeaze i can really see it being the smell of hot antifreeze.

I would check simple things first. Driveshafts in time with each other, bad carrier bearing (if equipped) and so on, if you haven't done so already.

I was looking through this guy's ^^^ posts and was about to say show him the banhammer, then I saw his profile... and it said banned. LOL well done fellas.

Im thinking defiantly your U joints. They can do funny things like that. And what your smelling is coolant. RAD is bad. Replace it. Yiu can find cheap ones on rockauto.com. Mine was doing samething and wouldnt always leak. But came from drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the shaft is a 2pc and you have them out of phase it will do exactly as youre saying, or if the hanger bearing is starting to go, it'll kinda have a feeling like that, as will a seized on one plane of the cross u-joint

LOL LOL

I get a vibration and an odd smell quiet often as well, but it has nothing to do with my truck!!

More of a diet thing..

LOL