Vibration with trailer hitched up

madmikeismad

So mad
Never experienced this before, so Id like to get some input before I act.

25' gooseneck, dual tandem. With trailer hooked up, I get a vibration from the back of the truck at exactly 35mph and 55mph, every time, accel and decel. All other speeds are smooth as silk. Im assuming a tire or 2 is out of balance, but not 100% sure it isnt anything else. Any chance bearings or axle issue?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
One of the guys i worked for had a trailer that would have minor axle hop when empty but it was fine when loaded. It would vibrate the truck a bit, but its most likely a tire out of balance.

Posted to compD via my magic four place toaster.

One of the guys i worked for had a trailer that would have minor axle hop when empty but it was fine when loaded. It would vibrate the truck a bit, but its most likely a tire out of balance.

Posted to compD via my magic four place toaster.

Was that at all speeds?

My vibration is pretty violent sometimes. No homo.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

This particular vibration got worse as speed increased and sometimes turned into a full hop.
Did your trailer sit for a long time? Was the tire at all deflated? The tire could just be junk.

Wanted: tapatalk signature

This particular vibration got worse as speed increased and sometimes turned into a full hop.
Did your trailer sit for a long time? Was the tire at all deflated? The tire could just be junk.

Wanted: tapatalk signature

Nope they used it every few weeks to haul stuff from auctions. Tires are all pretty even tread with probably a little over 1/2 tread left. It's just weird that it's only at 35 and 55, which makes me think it's 2 separate wheels or tires..

I had a 24' trailer that towed fine with my Ford. When I got my Dodge, I hooked the trailer to it and it would vibrate at ~50mph. I tried just about everything to get it to go away. Even ran tires just in the rear, just in the front, loaded, unloaded, etc. I just ended up selling it and getting a different trailer.

Friend of mine had the same scenario with a trailer. Sometimes they just don't like the truck they are hooked to I guess....

I would try some different tires first.

Tobin

I had the same issue after I got new tires on the trailer while unloaded. Had the tire shop balance them. ( shop acted like I was crazy but it fixed my problems) hope that helps.
Nate

Sometimes they just don't like the truck they are hooked to I guess....

I would try some different tires first.

Tobin

I was gonna ask if thats possible, but didn't wanna look like an idiot. The guys I got the trailer from said they used it 3 days before I picked it up to move a small tractor, and that it hauled fine.

I had the same issue after I got new tires on the trailer while unloaded. Had the tire shop balance them. ( shop acted like I was crazy but it fixed my problems) hope that helps.
Nate

I'm hoping it's just a balance needed. I don't wanna get 8 new tires! LOL

I'd have that problem with my car trailer. It turned out that the tread was starting to seperate on one tire. After the first time it happened which took out a fender I knew better then to keep going. They ended up being replaced one at a time.. Dont buy Carlisle tires they are junk. Hope this helps and is not too late.

It could be from the rear driveshaft, and the weight of the gooseneck is putting it at the proper angle for vibration.

I have had u-joints that only vibrate at certain speeds, above and below was smooth.

I can't wait to tease the nay-sayers when it is trailer tires/wheels that weren't balanced because "that is a waste of time and money" from the thread a while back. :hehe:

Wow, this was solved in October lol, for those that don't remember, every tire was shot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back