video diagnostic discussion ^L^ ....

triton

Scarlet Fever
ok, some of you know I've been trying to figure out this rattle issue my truck has had. It's been there since it was rebuilt, it's there on the stock software and it's even worse on aftermarket software.

The truck runs great, has lots of power but, has this damn annoying rattle. It definitely sounds internal but, a fueling thing internally I believe not valves.

If you guys wouldn't mind....please take a listen to these videos and tell me what you hear. There's 2 rattles going on, one is the normal diesel rattle and the other sometimes out of sync higher pitched noise. This was done sitting still while in gear. It doesn't do it as bad or really much ast all in when not in gear.

You can really hear it toward the middle to end of the first video...

Rattle1 Rattle2

well I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to diagnose something by listening to a video but was hoping it might have been a familiar sound to someone. It's really noticeable towards the end of the first video.

I literally live in the middle of no where and a reputable diesel shop with any type of test equipment is no where to be found. Especially one that knows anything about CR's. This is why I bothered you guys with this crap.

I can do anything that needs to be done to my truck but, sometimes figuring out what that is sometimes is the hard part.

Thanks anyways dude

My truck sounds Identical when I start it when it is cold. But then it goes away. I'm not to sure what it is but It kinda sounds like rocker/valve play

when cold they do sound louder. Mine doesn't do it until it's warmed up and doesn't do it at idle.

Like you said... it kinda sounds like. That's the problem I'm having, it kinda sounds like what you said, it kinda sounds like a fuel knock, it kinda sounds like timing ???? I just don't know.

I've adjusted the valves so I know that's not the problem.

triton said:
when cold they do sound louder. Mine doesn't do it until it's warmed up and doesn't do it at idle.

Like you said... it kinda sounds like. That's the problem I'm having, it kinda sounds like what you said, it kinda sounds like a fuel knock, it kinda sounds like timing ???? I just don't know.

I've adjusted the valves so I know that's not the problem.

We took the Smarty off of Daryl's megacab and put the New PPE on it and I am glad to say the rattle and knock that he had is NOW gone! Sounded just like your truck. It also fixed his highend (90mph) miss and cutout. Daryl also reports that it hasn't been this strong ever. BTW....Sounds like a combo of timing and pressure.

I can't hear enough to tell.

My rattle was most noticeable from the cab, not the engine bay.

Ofcourse, my rattle issue has been eternally fixed LOL

sootman said:
We took the Smarty off of Daryl's megacab and put the New PPE on it and I am glad to say the rattle and knock that he had is NOW gone! Sounded just like your truck. It also fixed his highend (90mph) miss and cutout. Daryl also reports that it hasn't been this strong ever. BTW....Sounds like a combo of timing and pressure.

Well man, I know smarty makes a truck rattle because of the added timing but, the video was while on stock software. It's more rattle than what the smarty will do. The smarty definitely enhances the rattle though when it's loaded.

I plan to go to the dealer for a reflash. If like you say the smarty is leaving something in the ECM, that will eliminate
it and I can start with fresh software. If the rattle is still there... that theory is shot. I have a feeling it will still be there. While there I hope to spend some time on the StarScan and maybe get to the bottom of this fricken crap !

I may try the HOT PPE at some point but, my experience with the smarty has been pretty good so far.

Phil you fixed yours the easy way LOL I'm not to that point and hope not to be !

FWIW,,,,Listened to your vids and that is close to what mine sounded like. It was noticeable at all speeds, but was not all that noticeable when idling. Also, it seemed to be the worst at lower RPM while accelerating (ie.accelerating slowly at 50 mph in OD) Like you, the noise was driving me crazy, I was almost at the point of putting my truck back to stock to see if that would fix the problem. I decided to try the PPE and see if it would help, since I heard that it might. It definitely made a difference. Good Luck, and keep us posted on what you find out at the dealer.

BTW Phil, did you buy any turd polish when you picked up that truck?:poke:

Last edited:
thanks for the input Daryl. I'm more than happy to try anything that helps. I'm just a little reluctant to try another programmer when the rattle is there on the stock software.

It sure would be nice if it was a simple as a software change.

big shifter said:
sounds like youre stix to me!!

Could be a nozzle or 2 with very slight leaks. If your reflash doesn't fix the problem...it's worth a shot at pullin' the nozzles and checking the needles for even the slightests of pitting. Use a good magnifying glass.