VP help

bradley59dzl

2001..Not the vp or ecm. I can hot wire vp and truck starts. I have power and ground to the vp connector, also have no power to fuel shut off pin of connector. Truck will not start with vp connector plugged to vp. What gives? What else would tell vp to not start?

Last edited:
Have you checked all fuses and swapped relays around? Specifically the fuel pump relay?Are you getting any codes or no bus signal on the dash?

Never heard of this one... maybe broken wire in harness?

Me either. lol Im no pro but I know these trucks fairly well. The truck was bought not running and it is a rusty, wiring rats nest plow truck. I guess ill pull harness and ck it real well was just seeing if anyone had a similar problem.

Are you back probing the VP connector? It should start if you have 12v and ground. Go ahead and cut the shutoff/fault wire if you haven't.

Are you back probing the VP connector? It should start if you have 12v and ground. Go ahead and cut the shutoff/fault wire if you haven't.

That is what im going to do in the morning I'll pull connector apart and pull the that pin. When i jump the vp I was hot wiring straight to the vp with connector off.

Last edited:
Removed fuel shut off signal wire, still no start. Remove data link (+) wire it starts. Any input?

When you say it's not the VP or ECM, does that mean you've changed both?
Seems like maybe the data link wire is grounded out maybe...... Or the ECM is commanding no start.

Trying to figure out the values of the data link wires. I thought the only thing wire that would affect start up was the fuel shut off wire?

Dam! really didn't think they could prevent it from starting through the data wires. Good to know, and thanks for posting what you found.