VP Lift Pump

gotdale?

Hey, my boss owns an '01 Cummins all stock, he asked me to find him a programmer and I was going to tell him the power puck. He only wants a little extra power. Well, I know he should also get a lift pump for it and I think the Raptor should suit him fine. But my question is, why isnt the factory lift pump good enough? Also, I think some years had the pump in the tank, does anyone know what years they did and why?

The intank pumps where a retrofit from dodge, for the 98.5 to 04. Dodge didnt start puting pumps in the tank, from the factory until 05 I belive.

Smarty or Edge Juice with Att if he needs gauges and Airdog for Lift Pump

I have searched but all I come up with is that it needs an electric one because of low pressure, but why. I'll search more. I know they started with the in tank ones starting '05, I just wasn't sure if Dodge was going back and forth between production of the VP.

I have searched but all I come up with is that it needs an electric one because of low pressure, but why. I'll look more. I knew they started with the in tank ones starting '05, I just wasn't sure if Dodge was going back and forth between production of the VP.

All VP trucks came with the factory electric pump on the side of the block. The cam doesnt have the lobe for a mechanical pump like the 12v has but there is a place on the block for it. (the bracket for the stock VP pump covers it) The in-tank pump is a retro-fit installed after the original failed.

The VP likes 14-15psi all the time especially at WOT. (for supply and cooling) Anything over that bypasses back to the tank. Anything below 5psi is BAD. So a pump that will flow 80+GPH and keep pressures at or above 14-15psi will work great! It is said that too much pressure damages the VP as well so I would try to stay below 25psi at idle. I ran mine with a FASS at 20-25psi constant and never had a VP failure.