vp problems?????

cumminspower88

i noticed the other day while driving down the interstate that around 70 i would intermittenly loose throttle control, the truck would begin to slow down a little but not as much as if you backed completely off of the throttle. I noticed it i backed all of the way out of it and then got back in it, it would work fine. This would come and go for a while. Then it just stopped. that was a few days ago, havent had the problem since, until yesterday. Same scenario same speed range. I drove about 150 miles and it was fine, i let my buddy drive back and it started doing it to him. then like before it just up and stopped. Only problem is its not throwing andy DTC's. It almost seems to me like the tps is messin up on it, so i hooked it up to my scanner and watched the tps as i moved the accelerator pedal. Now i know since this problem is intermitten its not likely that i would see anything strange in the pedal. the scanner told me whithout being on the pedal at all it is at 11.3% and at WOT its at 73%, wasn't sure if this was a normal number to see so i hooked it up to a buddies truck and his went from 8% to 68%, close enough for me. and the throttle percentage stayed steady the whole time. And it has been getting hard to start after it sits for over a couple of hours. That might be caused by an air leak in my fass, but it could also be the pump. Anybody had this same problem?

Mine gets intermittent dead pedal at highway speeds, ill just be cruising and then its got nothing I can put it to the floor and doesnt change the speed down shift and it climbs back up, but ya similar and it normally happens on weekends when im driving the truck further distances then jus tto work and back. I checked the codes and it threw 0216 injection pump timing failure (vp44)

My truck also does this when it wants to but , i'm not getting any codes at all. I've been told it was my throttle position sensor and there probably right.

i had inj. pump timing code, but i was curious the other day to see how it would run with the map sensor unplugged and i just figured thats what threw that code. i've since cleared the codes and the problem reoccured and still no codes. but i too have noticed mine does it on longer trips. i just cant understand how if it is the tps that it has an intermitten problem, because i'm assuming all a tps is is a resistor similar to a fuel gauge sending unit. but whenever a fuel sending unit goes bad it has a consistant bad spot.

Mine only does it when i'm running down the interstate at about 2000rpm and about 75-80mph. I can't make it do it any other time. If you have time to read through timbeaux's thread where he was having problem's with his vp someone mentions that his was doing the same thing. Now that i think about it it may be the [apps] and not the [tps]. I may be wrong about that?
Also my boost drops about 4-5psi when this happens. I don't have to lift off the throttle though, i just give it a little more and it picks back up.

Bad injection pump, that's exactly what my truck did before the pump just died. Did it on and off for about a month, more so on longer trips.

I put mine on cruise control today for about 30 min at the same rpm 2000k, speed 75-80 and it didn't do it. Just wondering ,if it were the pump woundn't you get some kind of code [timing, low voltage] and it should also do it in cruise control?

Thanks

I put mine on cruise control today for about 30 min at the same rpm 2000k, speed 75-80 and it didn't do it. Just wondering ,if it were the pump woundn't you get some kind of code [timing, low voltage] and it should also do it in cruise control?

Thanks
If you don't get the miss when on cruise control, it's most likely the APPS that is the problem. I don't remember the exact explanation for why that is, but it seems to be the case. Of course you can get an aftermarket APPS now for around $160, which isn't too bad...
Good luck.

If you don't get the miss when on cruise control, it's most likely the APPS that is the problem. I don't remember the exact explanation for why that is, but it seems to be the case. Of course you can get an aftermarket APPS now for around $160, which isn't too bad...
Good luck.
Is there any way to test the apps?

Thanks

The following page explains it somewhat:
APPS Sensor
I still think you will need a new apps though.
I'll check it out and your prolly right, at least i hope you are. 160$ is alot cheaper than other options.
Where can i find this aftermarket apps?

Thanks alot, Stephen

Mine did/does that about once a year. I unplugged the APPS and found one of the connector pins darker than the rest so I reconnect and disconnected a few times in hopes to make a better connection. Lasts about a year so I repeat the procedure and get another year.

I'll check it out and your prolly right, at least i hope you are. 160$ is alot cheaper than other options.
Where can i find this aftermarket apps?

Thanks alot, Stephen

I think Geno's sells them now, but there is a link on my previous one, that has ordering info for you.

Blue Chip Diesel sells them. But from what I've learned when the APPS is bad they usually set a code. Give Chip a call he is very helpful with diagnosing a problem.

It sounds stupid but, i don't know if it's bad or not. It's like a hicup every now and then and put her in cruise control and it don't do it. I ran the truck on the way home at about 2200rpm's and it never done there either.