VP Truck - no power to lift pump relay

madmikeismad

So mad
Buddy's truck (fass pump) is no longer telling the pump to run. If we jump the relay, it runs. Does the ecu tell the pump when to run (for a 20 second prime or whatever), or is it through ignition switch? He can't trace the wire and I'm trying to help him over the phone, so I can't see it either LOL

Thanks.

Last edited:
its an 02, just called FASS and they said its common with my truck for this to happen. Said wire it into something that automatically turns on when you turn the key. Seem legit?

Fuel pump driver is burnt in the ecm. find a key on 12v source in the fuse box. Problem solved

Fuel pump driver is burnt in the ecm. find a key on 12v source in the fuse box. Problem solved

Thanks Disturbed!:thankyou2: Mike was saying the same thing but he wanted to make sure. Is there any other issue associated with this that I need to be aware of before it happens?

Thanks Disturbed!:thankyou2: Mike was saying the same thing but he wanted to make sure. Is there any other issue associated with this that I need to be aware of before it happens?

Not really. I've done quite a few of these. Once you wire the relay into the fuse box you should be good. The only down fall is when you turn the key on the pump runs all the time

Last edited:
so it doesnt do that 20 second prime and then turn off. But it runs the entire time Im driving anyway right?

To take this one step further, is there a pretty good chance the ECM is fried if the lift pump and the VP relay both are not getting power?

I've seen three VP ECM's fail the same way in the last eight days. Maybe the cold weather finally did them in?

Failed as in loosing signal voltage to the transfer pump?

Sent from my Toilet Explorer

Doesn't the pump constantly running make them hard to crank? The one I've seen wired up that way was anyways....

Yes the vp does not want to see pressure when starting.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk