vp44 install and timing

dan33klein

i just installed a rebuilt vp44 on my buddies truck,
how do you time the pump right?
the truck starts and lopes and sounds like its running on 3 cylinders.
it wont let it rev up either, i think its out of time.

I'm pretty sure the pump is always timed. Question is, did the pump gear get removed and not replaced correctly? Adequate fuel flow? Sucking air? Fuel lines to right pump outlet?

im pretty sure the fuel lines are right, lift pumps working gret plenty of fuel pressure, i bled all the injection lines then tightened them down, still dont run right, i never took the gear off, just slid the pump out, i dont think there is enough clearence for the gear to come off, i would have to pull the front cover and check that

The numbers have to be facing a certain way, there is a slight offset in some key's.

Mine acted exactly how you described when I installed a pump on my truck and somehow the key got knocked off.

Mine did, I ended up taking the front cover off and some of it was in the timing case, so I had to drain the oil and the rest of it was in the oil pan.

Yes, which is probably why it ran so bad. You should be able to see the key with the nut removed.

im pretty sure the key ways in there, are there timing marks on the cam gear and the pump gear? and then you just use the keyway and the pumps timed?

Yes there is timing marks on the cam gear to line up the crank and pump.

Did you use the key that came with the pump?

yeah, it had a different number than the stock key, is there anyway the gear could have skipped a tooth? i dont think there was enough clearance

The pump gear cannot be moved forward or backward with the cover in place. You either shaved the edge off the key, pushed the key out of the pump shaft, have the key in the wrong direction, have the wrong numbered key or a bad pump. Did you have the keyway on the pump shaft at 12 o'clock when you removed the pump ?? Thanks Steve B.

I shaved the edge of the key way off on my hot rod pump i was in a rush and went to start it nothing. I tried everything to get it to start. Finally pulled the pump and the key way was basically welded in place.

I had to get the numbers off my pump to order a new key way. Make sure you get the right key way for your pump!