VW TDI auto tranny

Warpig

12V killer
Anyone have any good luck with the 01M's ? I can buy an 02 VW TDI really cheap, but is has an auto.

I know one with 300+hp but the gearbox is far from stock. The stock is known to be one of the worst things ever built.

What can be done to mod the auto's, if anything? I'll probably just do a manual swap. I've been reading about the swap and it seems easy.

I'm not that familiar with the mods done to the boxes. I would definitely put a manual in it.

I'm not that familiar with the mods done to the boxes. I would definitely put a manual in it.

Well, I purchased the car real cheap and will buy all the parts for the conversion.

It's easy to do other than the wiring, and that is just a major pain because of where it's located at. When I did mine it was on a lift so the door would not open fully, my fat arse getting under the dash to do everything was not fun :bang

Be sure you get ALL the parts, the little knick-knacks are the killer.

I hear ya on all the little knick-knacks. I thought the wiring was real easy, just reprogram with vag-com?? Help a brother out :Cheer:

The Vag-Com part is easy, change one number from a 2 to a 1 IIRC, the wiring is very straightforward, just hard to get to. Under the dash is a panel with numerous relays, you will be removing one relay that controls the starter safety switch and reverse lights and replacing it with one to work the starter safety switch and move the reverse lights to another switch. You will also be doing a bit of rewiring on the PCM to make cruise work correctly. It's all pretty simple, just time consuming to make sure you have the right wire. What is your e-mail? I have a few documents I found when doing my swap that will give you some insight. Also, join the TDI club, the classifieds there are a great way to find someone with a swap for sale.

Search tdiclub there is a thread with complete wiring for the manual swap good luck

Also boraparts.com sells a complete kit to do the swap can even upgrade to six speed

If you're going to swap to a manual, swap to a 6 spd. E mail Ryanparkin1@gmail.com , tell him Whitbread sent you, he knows me very well. He puts together 6 speed conversion kits with everything but the clutch pedal assembly and the clutch line. The gear ratios are much nicer than the 5 speed and it's a wayyyy stronger trans. It's by far the best bang for the buck.