Want to build a good towing 24v

73stroke99

I am new to the 5.9 Cummins. Just picked up an 01 24v Ho.
I have everything but Vp pump and turbo. The engine has around 200hrs or less on it. I will be putting it in my 02 F250.
What do I need to do to this engine internally and externally to build a stong engine that makes good power but still be able to pull 10k.
I plan on Ppumping for sure. Not sure on injectors, turbos, main studs, cam etc.
Sorry new to the 5.9.

Search ;-)

Go find one of the many Ppump conversions on here and read through it. It should answer all of your questions. Any you can get plenty of power for cheap with free, and low cost Ppump upgrades for towing.

go small for a towing setup, something like a 62/68 with gate, decent t4 manifold, 5x12injector, keep the stock cam, no need for main studs, but arp's for the head for sure.

focus on bolt on's, its all you are going to need. FWIW a VP44 is a great towing pump, but I suppose its not worth the trouble to adapt a computer.

I personally like my set up now.

5x12 injectors
62/72/.7 turbo
Edge drag comp.

A p pumped 24v with a similar setup will tow good. I just towed our 11k lb tractor around all weekend. If I could do it again, I would get a gated housing but its not terrible with my non gated housing now. You can always put a 475 on it too for twins if you want more power or cooler egts.

Back