Want to get into a little pulling. Tips?

stevewes2004

Hey guys, I bought my truck last year bone stock and have been modding it every chance I get. I've never sled pulled but I'd like to get into it some. Not heavy but just some local pulls (at the most 2 or 3 a year). Its mainly a weekend street truck, but I was trying to get some ideas on what to do next. here are my thoughts:

gotta have a dual disk (when funds come along)
upgrade to a drag comp (100 bucks)
build some ladder bars (price of components cuz i can fab decent enough)

anything else? not looking to go any bigger in the turbo/injector department. see my sig for mods. and heres a pic of my truck:
newestlook1.jpg

oh and i have a set of cooper stt 285/75/16 on factory steelies that i would be using. they're about 20%, is that decent enough???

Need to build a decent hitch. Rear blocks. And depending on your local rules weight bracket, drive shaft loops and shields, maybe verticle exhaust.

You'll need that clutch soon if you pull....

yea i know about the clutch. rear blocks for what? local rules dont need DS loops or vert. exhaust. not sure about weight bracket. i've got a reese hitch, or are you talking about something to slide in the receiver?

I think he was. I think up here the rule varies between 1"-2" travel in the suspension... but then again you'll probably need to check your area's rules.

Build a solid hitch at 26" or whatever max height is. It will work better than a clevis or whatever....

Blocks for the rear end, yes to replace the bump stops and keep the rear solid...

I think they have it about covered..
Hitch-The reciever part (Adjustable)
Blocks.. (bump stops of some type.. adjustable will be best.)
Front weight bracket.. (if you can add weight to the front.. you will need to adjust the blocks, and hitch.)
I'd still look at loops and shields.. Safety.. I can also help from tearing up other things on the truck..
Have fun....

sweet thanks guys. i'll prolly end up building DS loops anyway b/c i enjoy doing that kind of thing.

Not heavy but just some local pulls (at the most 2 or 3 a year).

This will be your biggest task to overcome. Once you hook you will be hooked. But when you build your hitch make sure it is adjustable and not set at 26 inches. If you hang front weight that height will change. Suspension blocks are a must, also adjustable is a big help. Set up your truck first and add HP as you go. 300hp can be very destructive if your driveline is not set up right.

Just a big hook. My hitch is made of a 1in thick plate with a hole 3in wide and 3.75in long.

ok cool. i have a huge shackle i plan on building a hitch out of. the hole is like 5" wide. it was free so thats what i'll be using. and as far as traction bars, should i get the ones with 3/4" bolt holes? is that sufficient or will i break 3/4" bolts? for tubing, i plan on using 2" square 1/4" wall.

oakboro, county fairs, etc.

At Oakboro you would be bumped up to the 2.6 class, unless you pull out of class.

U-joint shield required (not until 2010)
hitch to be max 26" with a 3" diameter opening
You can hang weights
solid block is allowed

You can read all the specific rules here, just scroll down to "8,200 & 8,000 LB STREET DIESEL TRUCKS"