want to upgrade torque converter?!

chevyboy34

hey guys im new here but my dads tranny blew a seal in the transmission that wasnt allowing it to shift into first gear. from what he told me with that seal going out it didnt have enough pressure to engage his first gear! the guy said he should upgrade his torque converter to a 3 or 4 plate system? If im way off guys im sorry and feel free to correct me! he has a 2004 f350 with the bully dog triple dog with 5 inch exhaust so my question is what kind of torque converter should he upgrade to? He doesnt want to go extreme but something to handle the chip. Thanks gusy

Sun Coast is a great way to go. Their Stage I is basically an 1800 stall.

The factory converter is already a 3 disc and is pretty stout. The weak link in the tranny is the clutch packs.

The weak link in that setup is the lack of transmission tuning through the bullydog.

May want to look to an SCT to help the tranny live longer.

I've heard great things about suncoast. ATS seems to have a great warranty with their converters but I haven't heard much about them. NADP seems to be the top of the tranny game.

The factory converter is a single disc. A buddy of mine ordered a suncoast and it was a single disc also. The suncoast converter was ordered after the ATS converter blew up. The new ATS converter they sent for the warranty only was a double disc.

Make sure you get what you pay for.

Clutch disc. Go look at the ATS ads in Diesel power. They show a Triplelok which has two clutch discs. It should have been a 5 disc since that was ordered. The suncoast had the same stock sprun clutch disc in it. Had a billet stator with 17 windows. And a billet hub. A tripple disc was ordered. It did not get built.

If they are going to market how many discs and then short change people by saying it has friction on both sides, then I have a 12 disc direct clutch upgrade for a 5R110.

Straight from the suncoast website: " The Sun Coast converter features our multiple 3-disc clutch along with our billet steel cover to provide 3 times the torque capacity of the factory converter."

Where are my other 2 discs?

The factory converter is a single disc. A buddy of mine ordered a suncoast and it was a single disc also. The suncoast converter was ordered after the ATS converter blew up. The new ATS converter they sent for the warranty only was a double disc.

Make sure you get what you pay for.

Really? I've heard from many that the factory converter is a triple disc.

It's not.

Thanks, this is good to know. This way i wont be misinforming others as i was misinformed. I don't know why suncoast would be so cheap as to try to pass off a single disc converter as a triple disc. The more and more shady stuff i hear about suncoast makes me not want to get any tranny stuff from them. I'll be getting a precision industries converter instead.

Thanks, this is good to know. This way i wont be misinforming others as i was misinformed. I don't know why suncoast would be so cheap as to try to pass off a single disc converter as a triple disc. The more and more shady stuff i hear about suncoast makes me not want to get any tranny stuff from them. I'll be getting a precision industries converter instead.

we can get you a good deal on a PI.

This is why I have all of the converters done locally. Billet covers. And single, double, or tripple disc. Whatever the customer wants.

Back