Waste Gate Motion from pressure

pjsrider

I am working on tuning my he351/ht3b twin setup and while playing with the wastegate on the he351 I noticed that when I set my shop air regulator to 40psi the wastegate arm extends about a quater or an inche. If it set it to 55 psi it opens almost half an inch. I understand the diaphram inside moves more due to the increase in pressure, but does this allow the wastegate puck inside to move enough to bleed off pressure? I am making 68 lbs of boost total so that is a substancial amount of exhaust air going through the small turbo. If the waste gate doesnt open far enough will the volume of air be to great to pass thorugh the wastegate and prevent the turbo from over speeding? I am awaiting a drive pressure guage which may answer my question because I assume if the drive pressure is super high, then the waste gate is not flowing enough. I do have it ported to a loose 1".

Any thoughts?
Jay

you will be fine, the drive pressure pushes that sucker open farther than 1/4" and definately enough to relieve the drive pressure issues.

just set it to where you like it/where it works best.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was curious because when I adjust my boost elbow down, it lowers the total boost pressure which doesn't seem right. Total boost peaks when I have the secondary turbo waste gate opening at as high a pressure as I can set it for.

Thanks,
Jay

You need a spacer in between the wastegate and cover if you want the pucks to open more...and you need to open up the wastegate ports if you want to flow more as well, if more travel isnt enough...

You need a spacer in between the wastegate and cover if you want the pucks to open more...and you need to open up the wastegate ports if you want to flow more as well, if more travel isnt enough...

Thats true on an S300. The HE351 wastegates directly into the turbine exhaust, so nothing impedes the flapper travel.