Wastegated or non 14cm for 35/40 hybrid

kas83

I'm looking at upgrading my 97 to a 35/40 hybrid, and ditching the stock 12 cm housing. Obviously the non gated 14 housing is cheaper, but would there be any advantages to the gated version? Mods will be #11 plate, DDP2's, 16* timing, and that's pretty much it. Thanks in advance.

It's a 5 speed, BTW. Couldn't get sig to work.

Last edited:
a non gated would work ok if your egt's are not out of control now you should be ok. i can get real toasty real quick with my set up and if i floor it i can get real hot fast . but then my set up is not in my sig :)

Any more insight into this? My stocker got toasted by some dirt ingestion, and I'm gonna start getting the parts from HTT soon. I might just do the center section freshening/rebuild and new wheel/compressor housing to begin with, and upgrade turbine housing at a later date.

a non gated 14 is going to get hot and overboost w/ those injectors. I'd try an 18.5 or 21cm. I ran an HX35-18.5 for a while on my red 98 5sp w/ 18.5* timing stock injectors and a cranked up pump. it spooled fine.

honestly if you're trying to go budget, I'd just pick up a good used HX40/16w or even something like an HTB2

Wastegated for sure. I can run my stock hx35 with a 16cm non gated housing to 40psi and I am not fueled heavy at all. Much more than that gets pretty hard on the turbo

I aggree with Forrest on this one I would not waste your time on a hybrid just keep your eyes open for a used 62/12 you will be much happier than an hx40. Believ me I went that route and did not like it at all...

I can hit 40psi and nearly 2000 degrees with my 18.5, you need a wastegate IMO

surprised you're not getting more than 40psi... I got 45psi out of an HX35/18.5 w/ a 215 pump, 215 (stock) injectors, custom fuel plate, AFC mods, factory front plug. EGT's weren't horrible either

Maybe the 215 pump over my 180? Weird your egt's weren't bad though, mine are crazy at WOT!

How 'custom' are the fuel plates in the trucks? I'm sticking with a #11 plate, not going to grind it or mod it further. The injectors, I understand, flow more fuel, but are not huge injectors in themselves. Stock DV's will be used. I'm limited in the money I can spend, and with the stocker being scarred up as bad as it is, I need something. I guess I can skip the sticks, and just rebuild the turbo, but what's the fun in that.

Ok, thanks for clearing up the plate issue. How much more fuel does no plate vs the #11 work out to be?

I'm searching around for a 62/12, but can't find many used ones. $1600 for a new one is simply out of the question too. Might just have to live with less power for quite awhile.

Back