weird electrical problem (with video)

viper1987

well had this on cummins fourm gonna try it on here get some fresh eyes on it. when the temp is under 60 outside and the truck sits for a while the truck acts normal till about 20 minutes of driving watch the video and see if anything comes to mind heres the list of what iv done.....
ESS, replaced a few times, wires checked.
TPS, checked low volts replaced, threw a code for low volts took it back put the old one on code when away adjusted for close to proper volts.
VSS, i know works cuz my speedo works no matter what.
PCM, checked almost every wire that has to do with power or ground and all are fine no matter what the truck does.
No visable breaks or bad wires that i can see.
P.S. to the cummins fourm guys that see this i know i know *bdh*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9tk9-CVkU&feature=related
http://youtu.be/VpmHHiuIlME

Check the wires coming out of the PDC that head toward the engine. I had one that would start on its own once in a while and it turned out to be the left shock wore into the harness and shorted things out.

start on its own bet that was fun lol. i took it apart once when the relays were clicking whats weird is when i put a volt meter on the spades of those relays no voltage jump just normal 12 volts. What is weird to me, take your truck and turn the key you hear a few clicks (shut down sol. gridheaters, etc.) when the tach dies and i restart the truck nothing of that happens, also my wait to start light, water in fuel, and trans temp along with my cel wont come on its like the pcm is dead but it has power, ground, and all the sensor wires have voltage going out and in so i dont know its got me baffled

Does it change at all by moving any of the wires around the PDC?

no its odd twice in the past few days nothing will work that has to do with the pcm other then the speedo and then as fast as you can blink tach jumps up shifts in to od then lock up for a while then tach drops all the lights flash and everything quits again its driving my nuts

wow thats sucks i sugest going to plan b, get a full wiring diagram and start checking EVERYTHING, :bang

lol haha yea i got that about a month ago, its gotta be the pcm everything else checks out and it will flash the cel and other 3 lights with the truck off lol, the grid heaters would get so hot that the intake started to burn the old grime off of it lol so they got unhooked i believe im way past plan b and on the plan nv4500 can pick up a full swap for 500 cant find a pcm anywhere to try that so......

Loosen and retighten EVERY ground clamp on the truck. If that dont fix it get a Ohm meter and start testing. That looks alot like a gound issue.

thats what i thought but have tried that to. im almost sure the pcm is over heating i put a ice pack on it for about a hour and it worked fine on the drive home :/ of all things a ice pack made it fuction fine

Take starter off and check the contacts...I bet they're warped.

rieff is right. its your starter. if it doesnt fully disengage, nothing will work. ive had this issue with an almost dead battery on my drag truck. id just change it out for a new one.

I don't have this problem but, are you saying that the solenoid isn't disengaging or the motor? and then the starter is heating things up because of the constant draw?

if the starter doesnt fully disengage, it wont let anything work as no contacts are making so nothing works. im willing to bet your problems in your starter so start there.

Watched the video. Have you narrowed down the clicking noise to just those two relays? It stops when they are both out? I'd check all the wiring related to those relays first that are there possible shorts to the ground or shorts to other wires that could produce this phantom voltage.

If this problem is related to starter motor then while the truck does this relay clicking then put your headlights on. If they get WAY more dimmer and brighter to the same beat with the clicking then in that case I will agree on the opinions of the starter. Otherwize not.

well the starter is deff a new thing to look yes the headlights get real bright then real dim, also i put a volt meter on the battery hit almost 18 volts thats what isnt making sence but if i understand (LReiff) right the starter doesnt fully disengage and thats causeing a load draw on the electrical system?? that would make sence. i will check the contacts and update this evening