Weird shifting going on here.

zukgod1

Old fart
Ok playing with a 99 this time.
Mods, move to the correct area if needed, I cant find a place to put this and I need the knowledge from our groupe here.

Not a Diesel sorry, it is a Dodge though.

All stock.
99 Durango
95K miles
5.9ltr.

Symptoms are;
While accelerating from a stop it wont shift into second gear unless you let off the gas, then the RPM's will drop and it will grab the next gear. Once in that gear if you accel to much it will down shift and you have to go through it all over again.
If driving in town under normal to light accel it will shift just fine through the gears, if you get into it it will drop into the next lower gear and not shift out until you let off the gas/ rpm drop again and it grabs the next gear.
I don't notice any slipping at all.
Oil is still bright red and doesn't smell burnt, may be just a bit over filled.
I'm finding some referances to speed sensors on/in the trans in my searches.

Any sugestions?

It doesnt appear the bands have ever been adjusted either so I'll be replacing the sensors and doing a filter, band adjustment this weekend. just wanted to get some 2nd 3rd 300th oppinions before it happens.

Thanks all
Dan

Moved to general dodge.

I'm guessing it needs new electronics (gov pressure solenoid, Lockup solenoid etc.)
How is the battery?

thanks for moving to the correct place Tim.

Not sure on the batt. Cranks fast and fires right up.
I'll check the dealer tonight on the rest of the solenoids etc when I'm picking up the speed sensors I guess.

dan

Ok, so i removed the valve body for the shift kit install and BAM!!!

The front band is shot and it's pretty much chewed up the front drum.
So it's on the bench tore apart, important looking pieces everywhere...
Ordered a pile o parts to throw at it. I upgraded to the larger front drum (5 instead of 3 clutches) and of course the carbon fiber bands and Kevlar frictions, all the updated servos.
Should be good when done.

dan

Good deal, glad you got it figured out