weld wastegate..

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
one of my buddies wants to weld my wastegate shut.

how is this benificial?

he did it on both of his 12v's and on two of my buddies 24v's.

should i tell him no? ha

If you have gauges to check the boost pressure then its nots a problem unless you just want to use a pipe plug to do the same thing

sorry for stupid questions, i'm really familiar with the 3rd gens but these 24v's have got me all confused..

On a stock truck its ok till 35psi, past that your making hot air.

That being said, I done it to mine. I used a turn buckle, hit 47psi. My drive pressure was probaly in the 70's.

I would adjust the wastegate for 32-35psi.

Mine was held shut back before I even heard of drive pressure. The again my silver bullet has a bolt holding it shut because the wastegate rod wouldnt clear the oil line. Hmmm

Get your self a adjustable boost elbow, couple of bucks. Would not run stock turbo much more then 32psi.

I would adjust the wastegate for 32-35psi.

Mine was held shut back before I even heard of drive pressure. The again my silver bullet has a bolt holding it shut because the wastegate rod wouldnt clear the oil line. Hmmm

some oil lines clear better than others. I've had to dimple them :o

I went to Jobe Performance and got a wastegate accuator and you can turn it off completely or turn your boost within .5 PSI

some oil lines clear better than others. I've had to dimple them :o

Unfortunately I cant dimple the feed line. Since my turbo is mounted backwards for the hood stack. Dont worry, fixing it is on my to do list. I am curious of my drive pressure with 55psi on it.:doh:

What about non-wastegated tubro's. Ive heard they have a bigger housing and are capable of making more power. I use the 66/74/14 non wastegated and weazel runs the silver bullet so i guess almost the same turbo and his does have the wastegate. His ran bad for awhile until he closed it off completly...just curious...why does most ppl sell their turbo's with wastegates?

So if I am interpreting this thread right (which I may not be) - if you 'disable' the wastegate totally on a stock turbo it will just make heat (less efficient), but running non-wastegated housings on aftermarket turbos is ok? Just trying to get this summarized..

you can disable the wastegate totally on a stock turbo if you're not pushing it hard enough to get way past 1:1 drive:boost

Back