Well Here We Go.....

BROCK401

Coolant leaking out the side, time for head studs i guess.... Where should I get them? and I'm gonna need a how-to thread.... bluh!

Any and all help appreciated!

you dont really need studs for that coolant leak. all you need a $35 hose. its the egr cooler to oil cooler hose. I have yet to see a 6.0 leaking coolant from the heads. Ive see a few 100 hoses leak.

I thought mine was leaking from the side of the head......little did i know that it was actually a pin hole leak found by all the coolant that was filling up my pass side manifold, up pipe and front two cylinders because of just how bad my cooler was leaking :bang. Oh well, at least that means i don't have to fork over a couple grand right now for studs :rockwoot:

Blown gaskets can and will leak externally from between the head and the block. As far as an EGR cooler leaking enough to fill up the cylinders and leak out the exhaust manifold, it just is not going to happen. The engine would have hydrolocked and spit a rod out of the side of the block long before you saw coolant leaking. EGR leaks will manifest themselves in 1 of 2 ways, pressurizing coolant and puking out of the reservoir or pooling in the cooler and being burnt off on start up causing white smoke and the unmistakable smell of burning coolant. The job 1 builds did have some issues with the EGR to oil cooler hose but the later builds had very few problems. If the valley of the engine is also wet behind the oil cooler then it's that hose.

I think that is the most informative post I have ever seen from you SINNER. Thanks for participating, without mentioing your stupid stinking 5 less than the Steelers SB win criminal Ravens!!!:hehe:

Say BRock, you don't mean you were going to put studs in hoping they would stop the leaks, without a teardown, did you?

Blown gaskets can and will leak externally from between the head and the block. As far as an EGR cooler leaking enough to fill up the cylinders and leak out the exhaust manifold, it just is not going to happen. The engine would have hydrolocked and spit a rod out of the side of the block long before you saw coolant leaking. EGR leaks will manifest themselves in 1 of 2 ways, pressurizing coolant and puking out of the reservoir or pooling in the cooler and being burnt off on start up causing white smoke and the unmistakable smell of burning coolant. The job 1 builds did have some issues with the EGR to oil cooler hose but the later builds had very few problems. If the valley of the engine is also wet behind the oil cooler then it's that hose.

SO it sitting with a massively leaking cooler for a month wouldn't cause any build up of coolant downstream?......Really???....It didn't hydrolock as i was driving down the road, obviously there would be alot more damage then just a leaking cooler. My truck burned coolant bad enough that it looked like i installed a smoke machine in my exhaust before i parked it thinking that i had a blown headgasket (didn't have the money to fix it at the time). While it set for about a month i decided to get an egr cooler delete to try and see, if by some miracle, that was the problem after all. when i was disassembling my up pipes i noticed a slow drip of what looked like coolant from around my exhaust manifold (of course first thought is that my head gasket has to be leaking) and when i unbolted the up pipe coolant gushed out all over me:bang.
Now im just praying that there isn't any coolant in the cylinders. I went ahead and finished the install of the cooler just for sh*ts and grins. I go to crank the truck over and it didn't get but maybe an 1/8 of a turn before it just stopped.....no clicking like the batterys were dead, just simply stopped like it was locked up. So i removed, glow plugs on the pass side, cranked the engine till all the fluid was blown out, reinstalled them, and it fired up like normal. No white smoke, no burning coolant smell, no belching of coolant, and the reservoir wasn't making the tea kettle noise that it had before. Since the install, about 5k miles, i have yet to have one single symptom that i once had before the delete.............So maybe you should ask a little more detail before you ASSume :poke:

I think that is the most informative post I have ever seen from you SINNER. Thanks for participating, without mentioing your stupid stinking 5 less than the Steelers SB win criminal Ravens!!!:hehe:

Say BRock, you don't mean you were going to put studs in hoping they would stop the leaks, without a teardown, did you?

No I know it would involve a teardown.... Thats why i said bluh! I think i have heard that 6.0s are horrible about blowing head gaskets? True or not? If its a hose that would be a blessing!!!! It looks like its trickling from the front of the drivers side head....

head gasket

No I know it would involve a teardown.... Thats why i said bluh! I think i have heard that 6.0s are horrible about blowing head gaskets? True or not? If its a hose that would be a blessing!!!! It looks like its trickling from the front of the drivers side head....

I think i have heard that 6.0s are horrible about blowing head gaskets? True or not? .

The head gaskets are the least of 6.0s problems, we wish you luck!!

Sometimes, Stop Leak and a trip down town for a trade in are the best answers.

SO it sitting with a massively leaking cooler for a month wouldn't cause any build up of coolant downstream?......Really???....It didn't hydrolock as i was driving down the road, obviously there would be alot more damage then just a leaking cooler. My truck burned coolant bad enough that it looked like i installed a smoke machine in my exhaust before i parked it thinking that i had a blown headgasket (didn't have the money to fix it at the time). While it set for about a month i decided to get an egr cooler delete to try and see, if by some miracle, that was the problem after all. when i was disassembling my up pipes i noticed a slow drip of what looked like coolant from around my exhaust manifold (of course first thought is that my head gasket has to be leaking) and when i unbolted the up pipe coolant gushed out all over me:bang.
Now im just praying that there isn't any coolant in the cylinders. I went ahead and finished the install of the cooler just for sh*ts and grins. I go to crank the truck over and it didn't get but maybe an 1/8 of a turn before it just stopped.....no clicking like the batterys were dead, just simply stopped like it was locked up. So i removed, glow plugs on the pass side, cranked the engine till all the fluid was blown out, reinstalled them, and it fired up like normal. No white smoke, no burning coolant smell, no belching of coolant, and the reservoir wasn't making the tea kettle noise that it had before. Since the install, about 5k miles, i have yet to have one single symptom that i once had before the delete.............So maybe you should ask a little more detail before you ASSume :poke:

Yes you are correct. I ASSumed that someone with a 40k truck could afford to fix it and not let it sit for a month bleeding to death. I was speaking of a running truck not one put out to pasture, but that is where those garbage engines truly belong.

The head gaskets are the least of 6.0s problems, we wish you luck!!

Sometimes, Stop Leak and a trip down town for a trade in are the best answers.

Or 5 gallons of gas and 1 well placed road flare.....Steelers still suck in case you forgot. Are you going to be able to handle the Ravens sweeping their sorry asses this year? The Ravens had a great off season with acquiring new talent, ****tsburg has a pending rape case....LMFAO

Acquiring new talent? The Fed pen must have had some early releases?

I usually avoid the Furd threads like the leprosy, but a disturbance in the force drew me here. I should have known it was Sinner. LOL
It is nice to see a useful post from you now and again, but then you go bashing the Steelers out of nowhere, for no reason. Whats the matter with you? Some type of pigskin envy or something?LOL

I usually avoid the Furd threads like the leprosy, but a disturbance in the force drew me here. I should have known it was Sinner. LOL
It is nice to see a useful post from you now and again, but then you go bashing the Steelers out of nowhere, for no reason. Whats the matter with you? Some type of pigskin envy or something?LOL

Perhaps you missed the derail by the other pennslytuckian in this thread. I mean come on the injectors in a 6.0 have wires running to them so you know pudpuller is lost:rules::bang

I see nothing antagonizing about his post? :what:LOL

Yes you are correct. I ASSumed that someone with a 40k truck could afford to fix it and not let it sit for a month bleeding to death. I was speaking of a running truck not one put out to pasture, but that is where those garbage engines truly belong.

SoMuchWin.jpg

Thats right everybody follow Dalpilots lead, (his posts are such great examples of useful posting!!!)we should each have a moderator follow us around and clean up any post that does not conform!!!:hehe: