wh1c turbo help

derekpeters96

I had an hx35w turbo on my 2001 24v cummins and It blew out so I bought a used wh1c to get me by until I can afford a new one. but the actuator hose hooks up different on a 12v so how do I modify it to work on my 24v until I can get a new one?

By actuator I think you mean wastegate. Just run the hose - extend if needed - to any place in the intake plumbing after the turbo with a fitting and hose barb. Done.

Also, save your money. I doubt you can tell a difference between the two turbos, unless the wh1c is a VE truck one with the giant, laggy exhaust housing.

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master, L1, T2. Pretty much a Cummins fan, but I fix them all 50+ hours a week.

For owning a shop, you sure have a lot of misinformation.

WH1C came on 94 12v. H1C came on 89-93 trucks.

Thankyou for your sucker punch your all knowingness, and for being completely useless in your contribution to the OPs original question.

Yes the VE trucks are different, but since we are not looking at a photo of the turbo or a photo of it's part number, and I have had plenty of guys refer to the earlier turbos as wh1c, I said it that way. Most guys don't even know that you could get a 12v with a wh1c - they think all 12v trucks had hx35 turbos (no offense to OP), so I find it is best to generalize rather than get into a debate over assumed or implied part numbers and semantics.

How many trucks do you take apart and fix or modify per week Mr Misinformation? Is OPs an actual wh1c off a 94 truck, a "wh1c" from a VE truck (quotations added because it may have been sold as such or assumed to be, but isn't), or a h1c with a smaller exhaust housing added from a wh1c or aftermarket? You don't know. Neither do I.

That said, I have installed and driven the same 12v truck, and the same 24v trucks each with a wh1c, an hx35, hy35, and s300, so I feel I can knowledgeably comment on the above. The hy35 is very, very slightly quicker spooling, but less nice with EGTs. I honestly can't tell a difference between the hx35 and wh1c in reality and performance. I think the OP would be better off saving his $ and just running the wh1c.

If OP really wants to spend "new hx35" money and has above stock aspirations, a good deal on the right size s300 would be money much better spent in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master, L1, T2. Pretty much a Cummins fan, but I fix them all 50+ hours a week.

Last edited:
Look, around here we assume people do know what they are talking about, and answer their questions based on the information they give. In that case Jon was useful and you weren't.

No one here cares how many trucks you work on, there are so many hack mechanics that know so much less than the average member here. You don't impress a single member with your 50+ hour work weeks fixing stock trucks, or ASE certification. I've seen ASE Master Mechanics that I wouldn't let change my oil.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

Look, around here we assume people do know what they are talking about, and answer their questions based on the information they give. In that case Jon was useful and you weren't.

I bought a used wh1c, but the actuator hose hooks up different on a 12v so how do I modify it to work on my 24v until I can get a new one?

Yup, you are right Texan. Way more useful - I'm sure that will help OP solve his problem. I will go back and fix my posts to show what year which turbo was on to answer his wastegate question. My apologies - in the future I will try and stick to cheap shotting people, and flame anyone I think phrased something technicality wrong, and keep my opinions and solutions only for the people who pay me for them.

No one here cares how many trucks you work on, there are so many hack mechanics that know so much less than the average member here. You don't impress a single member with your 50+ hour work weeks fixing stock trucks, or ASE certification. I've seen ASE Master Mechanics that I wouldn't let change my oil.

Fine that you feel that way. I agree there are hack mechanics - try finding a good one to hire. I also agree that ASE doesn't make someone a better mechanic, but it does differentiate the ones that sit for the tests and at least shows some effort. To some of the public and some customers, it is important. I put it in my sig so people can
ask me a question and get an answer from someone a little experienced, rather than the one time that Jimbob drilled his own nozzles with harbor freight bits and it happened to work.

For the record, I know what a f'ing wh1c is - the 94 engine I swapped into my gas v10 truck in 2002 had one on it, and that turbo made 325 rwhp (decent for back then) before I got rid of it. I know everyone has 1000 rwhp now, but you'd be surprised how seldom they actually get spotted on a Dyno at an actual diesel event rather than a product ad, magazine article, or YouTube. ;) I did see one of Merchant's trucks clear 1000hp on a Dyno in person several years ago, and a (very) few others, but I digress... I have owned 4 12v trucks, 2 24v trucks, and one common rail that were all modified to a greater or lesser extent, and have driven a cummins almost every day for 12 years. The whole reason I have my shop is because people got to know me through the trucks, and more and more stuff started showing up at my house until It made sense to quit my day job. I have built a custom wastegate system for a 6.4 (and some other mods) that beats everything it pulls against (because we basically hid it all and it runs a stock turbo lol). I am presently putting a 24v in a f350 for a customer, followed by a 12v in an excursion later this summer or early fall - and that's just the recent fun stuff. My daily driver is a fire ringed, 14mm studded (I did the machining for the studs also) 12v that took 2nd in Lane Automtoive's (also Motorstate Distributing) Dyno contest (diesel only)behind a newer common rail on spray a few years ago. I am light years behind Glenn, Chris, Johnny, Dusty, Scheid, Haisley, Merchant, and 1000 others on here that own successful shops, but I'm not just some repair man or idiot.

Why ASE and shop owner in the sig? If I am asking a question, I am looking to take the advice of someone I know is experienced (too many to name on this forum), do it for living, or are/were certified in some aspect. With such an insulting response about the shop owner/ASE thing, I have to ask: What are you certified in, other than running your mouth and mashing your keyboard?

No disrespect to the many intelligent, accomplished members of this board (you guys are why I come here), but sometimes this place feels like a frat party with a bunch of morons wearing backwards compd hats, spilling beer on themselves, throwing up the "shocker", screaming "this is comp deeeeeee!" In their best gangster voice.

Derekpeters96 - sorry for the thread derail. PM me if you like and I will gladly help you with whatever I can over the phone.

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master Certified, L1, T2. I like the Cummins trucks but work on Powerstrokes and Dmaxes all week, every week.

Last edited:
I read most of that...

I stand by all my comments, and will again say, certificates don't mean jack to me. It's easy to tell who knows what they are talking about, and without a stupid plaque or piece of paper.

You don't know what I know or don't know, but thanks.

I don't wear my cap backwards or throw the shocker.

If you don't like the environment here, there are other forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm good.

You might be a decent guy, but it grates me when people fill my parking lot sometimes from over an hour away, with no advertising, pay me for my knowledge, and then come here to help guys out for free, and get flamed because everyone with an issue of Diesel Power and a keyboard thinks they're a diesel genius and I don't know #%^*. Pet peeve. I know I should get over it. Seriously. I have issues.

For the record, I still don't see how what year a turbo was available answers a wastegate plumbing question, better than an answer on how to plumb the wastegate, but maybe I'm just dense like that?

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master Certified, L1, T2. I like the Cummins trucks but work on Powerstrokes and Dmaxes all week, every week.

For the record, I still don't see how what year a turbo was available answers a wastegate plumbing question, better than an answer on how to plumb the wastegate, but maybe I'm just dense like that?

Actually it does. There was no wastegated turbos on Cummins before 94.

Op also didn't ask about power differences. He must have blown his HX and is asking if the WH1C he has can get him by. You tell him it's a H1C and he searches it. He is not going to get the right answer.

It wouldn't be so bad if you took that line of entitlements out of your signature... There are lots and lots of shop owners and ase techs here that help a lot and don't tout it. And there is even people here that don't have certs that carry an unhealthy amount of knowledge about trucks...

Do yourself a favor and delete your sig

It wouldn't be so bad if you took that line of entitlements out of your signature... There are lots and lots of shop owners and ase techs here that help a lot and don't tout it. And there is even people here that don't have certs that carry an unhealthy amount of knowledge about trucks...

Do yourself a favor and delete your sig

Already did. Probably not appropriate here and I am sick of arguing about it - it just adds credibility to my business, but mainly with stock customers and lay people, that is all. I don't know why posting that stuff in a sig comes off as condescending, but apparently it does.

There are lots of people on here not certified that have forgotten more than I will probably ever know, and several more that rarely post anything, and are never online...

Speaking of which, I am a fan. Perfect car for a diesel conversion, and one of the best styled (GM or otherwise) vehicles of all time.

RAWR-Just-kidding.-Im-only-a-turtle..jpg