what about head porting on 6.0???

KRanch350

I am new here and also new to diesel hot rodding. I am going to do a head gasket and stud replacement soon and was wondering if while the heads were off I should get a light port job and gasket match. I use this truck to pull my race car and a few cross country hauls. My main question is if port work on the heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds would yield any negative effects on the hauling. I have a tune from Cale at BTS. I am very pleased with their shop. I am not planning to upgrade the turbo or injectors. The cost of the porting is not a factor b/c my drag car porter is very reasonable and very very good. Thanks for any advice.

Hey KRanch350,

Welcome to the forum. To port match the gaskets (intake to head) will actually require a huge port job and even then, the gaskets will still be a little larger. Our o-ring style gasket is on the outer limits of what can be removed and I’m not aware of anyone actually pushing the limits. I have Elite Diesel Engineering’s ported and polished heads on my truck. I have talked to a number of people porting heads and most are not able to flow what the Elite heads flow.

All cost aside, you will probably not gain but maybe 10 horsepower and your EGT’s will be slightly lower but not enough to actually see a difference (if that makes since). The stock charger is a VGT or variable vain geometry turbo. This means that there are little vains inside of the turbine housing that change. As they change, they cause the exhaust flow to speed up or slow down. This is what helps to spool up your turbo when you have no load or what keep the charger from over spinning. Because our turbo’s are vgts, you will not have any negative effects from porting your heads.

While they are off, have the heads checked for cracks and making sure they are not warped is extremely important. Also, make sure your block is checked. Most of our heads whether you are hard on the truck or not, seem to develop cracks and many times they are not repairable. So, be prepared to find a set of cores.

Thanks for the help. Is there any other repairs or replacement I should consider. I saw Elite had a coolant line kit to redirect coolant in the heads. Also is there a brand of choice on the intake elbow?

The only side you are going to gain anything is on the exhaust side. It does help spool up and also like Chad said lowers the EGTS slightly.
I ran ATS coolant reroute for a while and think it is a great concept for moving the trapped hot coolant away

Maybe I should just consider a clean up on the exhaust and the manifolds. Robts that makes sense, exhaust gas flow will help spool and the intake charge will flow because it has to under boost. I was wondering if there is any upgrades for the turbo's oiling system?

The factory oiling system for the stock charger is fine. There is an updated drain pipe and mount (depending on what year your truck is) but they work just fine and I wouldn't worry about changing anything (in regards to the oiling system.

Thanks ,I had seen where someone had talked about the drain pipe but I did not know anything about it . My truck is a 04. I am guessing the 03 had the most turbo problems?

Hey KRanch350,

There are more changes within the 6.0 turbos that most know. 03-04 was the biggest but there were other changes. The pedestal, also, changed between the 03-04 model year as well as somewhere in between 05 and 07 (06 I believe) to reduce the drown.

One thing you might want to also, consider is upgrading your fuel lines. Not to be completely self serving, but you might want to look at our Stage I fuel kit. For what you are looking at doing, it is cheep piece of mind. This kit replaces the small factory fuel lines, and fittings as well as the restrictive banjo bolts. This will help keep the injectors feed with fuel and it a great upgrade for anyone running at stock horsepower levels to 120 hp over stock.

http://www.trustedperformance.com/stageI.html

Trusted, Is the 120 hp over stock the max the injectors will support or will they support more with a regulated stock pump system. At what hp is the injector maxed out without the chance of wounding the engine. Also thanks, looks like something you cant go wrong with.

I believe there is or was someone on here that hit just over 500 on stock injectors with spray. But unless you are really pushing everything to the max, 120 is where most people end up.

There are tuners that can make a race file that will put the truck around 450 horsepower + or - 25 hp. A stock truck puts roughly 280 horsepower to the ground. So, that means 170 horsepower is possible with a good tuner, intake and exhaust.

Our Stage I lines are designed as the foundation for most of our fuel kits. So, if down the road you decide to go bigger, then all you would need to do is add one of our other kits to the truck and you are done with the engine.

But for what you are talking about using the truck for I don’t see a need to spend more.

Back