What are the symptoms of a bad grid heater?

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
What is the life span of a grid heater? Would it make hard starting overnight in say 50 degree weather? On mine it's not really hard starting but it grinds a few seconds longer than if I plug the truck in overnight. If plugged in it starts instantly so that's why I'm thinking it is a grid heater problem. So is that the grid heater causing my problem? How much are they?

Tks.

the grid heater doesnt aid in the starting process its the there to help reduce the emitions.

i had an 03 that did the same thing and it got to the point to were it wouldnt start unless it was like 60 or 70 degree my truck had 120000 on it when i bought it.... i tried a lot of things to fix it but i never replaced the grid.... i sold the truck soon after

What is the life span of a grid heater? Would it make hard starting overnight in say 50 degree weather? On mine it's not really hard starting but it grinds a few seconds longer than if I plug the truck in overnight. If plugged in it starts instantly so that's why I'm thinking it is a grid heater problem. So is that the grid heater causing my problem? How much are they?

Tks.

You could try disconnecting the electrical connections to the grid heater, and compare how it starts. I have a heater grid delete and don't have a problem starting in any weather here in northern Utah. Check your battery output.

First let me say,...

the grid heater doesnt aid in the starting process its the there to help reduce the emitions.

I don't know for sure but in a recent cking out of the Banks web site I noticed a grid heater delete. Supposedly it is something that will allow MORE hp but at the same time causes your truck to be harder to start and NOT recommended for cold weather users so that would kindof fly in the face of your statement.

I'd like to hear more from others on this issue as in my way of thinking, if my truck starts IMMEDIATELY when plugged in and doesn't start all that great if not, then the variance has something to do with it being warm or hot vs not. The rest of the day I can be going where ever and the truck starts immediate. It started immediate as recently as this past summer but in an overnight scenario then it doesn't with temperatures dropping overnight, but since it does start immediate when plugged in then the constant value of fuel pressure or delivery is a non issue as that would cause a problem if it were hot or not,.. seemingly, so that leaves either the grid heater which is Cummins version of glow plugs or serves the same purpose, as I understand it, so that's why I am asking of question of someone with more REAL world knowledge than my guessing on the issue.

Ever tried to start a truck in minus forty celcius without them

Atleast up here they are used for a cold starting aid

You gain no HP with the grid heater deleted. Mine been off since 08' and no problems.

yes it is kind of like glow plugs, it heats the air charge to aid in ignition of the fuel. its like this, diesel ignites off of compression right? well it makes it that much easier to ignite if the fuel air mixture is already warmed up a little... its that simple. also when you plug in your truck it heats the water in the block wich inturn heats up the oil and everything else and makes it easier to spin over also...

I'm amazed,..

You could try disconnecting the electrical connections to the grid heater, and compare how it starts. I have a heater grid delete and don't have a problem starting in any weather here in northern Utah. Check your battery output.

at what you're saying since reading about the delete on Banks. Also a point of confusion for me is that I'm using the same battery if it's cold or hot but with the engine hot or warm it starts much better. I realize the oil is thinner which I suppose could be the difference.

Hmmm!

I will ck my batteries,.. maybe they're not hitting the grid heater with enough voltage.

yes it is kind of like glow plugs, it heats the air charge to aid in ignition of the fuel. its like this, diesel ignites off of compression right? well it makes it that much easier to ignite if the fuel air mixture is already warmed up a little... its that simple. also when you plug in your truck it heats the water in the block wich inturn heats up the oil and everything else and makes it easier to spin over also...

This is explains it well!

It was my understanding that the heater grid doesn't even cycle till the IAT/ambient temparature is 45* or less. If you head lights dim even with truck running then come back to full power or watch you gauges the voltage will drop to nearly 8 then come back up it is working. If its colder than that you might be in my shoes where one of the wires for the relay melted out of it and there for it not working.

The grid heater is in fact a cold start aid.

Pat, you could try this. Turn your key on and pop the hood. If the grid heater is working you should be able to feel heat around the base of the intake pipe connected to the head.
You should check the ground connection at the grid heater. Also trace the grid heater wiring back to the solenoids and make sure they are all tight with no corrosion. You really don't need the heater for the engine to start, it just helps it start faster.

so far i havent had a problem with mine starting this year.. I never let my grid heater cycle, unless it is really cold.. It has been down in the 30s when i leave for work, and ive never had a problem... Starts as it would if it were 70 out

Here was my old first gen starting up after sitting for a whole day around 20degs with weak batteries, not plugged in and with grids that didnt work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLXHSXtrQdc

The grids do help with start up but my understanding is that they were added to help with the reduction of white smoke on start up.