what are you guys runing for lift pumps?

Check out over at www.1stgen.org I'm going to be switching to an electric sometime soon that will flow about 80gph, the stock 2nd gen ones only flow about 48gph according to 1st gen guru kta-cummins.

I run a holley blue with no regulator. I think it is 75 gph and 14 psi

they don't put out a ton of pressure at that volume, but I would assume a VE could take a 2nd gen lift pump no problem

Don't put a a regular second gen p pump lift pump on a ve or you will blow the seal out of the front of the injector pump. You need the lower pressure p pump that is available. Around 15 psi is max.

Pressure is controlled by the regulator, not the pump. Pumps flow volume, not pressure.

2nd gen pumps are very reliable units, and easy to come by. $90 for a brand new pump aint that expensive either.

If the system has no regulator then you would have to have the LP output exactly matched to the IP usage or a pressure deficit would occur or the pump would build so much pressure until something started to leak. The volume needed would vary w/ how the pump has been mod'd and throttle input. Adding anything that flowed more than stock would cause a pressure excess.

I'm not terribly familiar w/ 1st gens, but a regulator of some sort has to be used with any supply pump.

I run the 2nd gen lift-pump on my mess.

As others have pointed out, the VE is most happy with 19psig of inlet fuel pressure. Much more threatens the front shaft seal.

To negate that threat, I run an Aeromotive bypass style regulator set to approximately 19psig (+/-)(installed after the fuel filter, just before the IP inlet).

Running PDR 190 injectors had the system present as follows . . . .

- Approximately 15psig while free-revving the engine to 2500rpm (the FP regulator is limiting it).
- Approximately 13psig at idle.
- Approximately 14psig under WOT.

Switching to DDP4's has the WOT pressure drop to 8psig.

As such, the 2nd gen LP regulated will support a moderately bombed truck.

Hope this helps. ;)

I just upgraded to the lower pressure piston pump(not the larger 2nd gen one). I am not using a regulator, should I be using a regulator?

I wonder if its possible to swap out the VE's restrictor orifice fitting with a tweaked 2nd gen overflow for use as the regulator?