What are you using to lock up your front end?

Diablo650Hemi

What are people using to lock up their front rockwell 106's.

Last season I was using a Detroit locker but one spring went bad in it and it took me 3 pulls to figure out one wheel was unlocking once and awhile going down the track. I was told one a person gets past the 1200hp range the detroits don't work well enough.

So now i'm thinking of putting a locking hub on it and using a mini spool to lock it up. Problem is I cant seem to find a locking hub for the stock outer 1 1/2 inch 30 spline axle for the 106.

Money is an option here and I'm not going to go with a splitting axle style lock up. Must be a better way!

I know several trucks in the 1400-1500 range with detroits in dana 60's so i would think a 106 detroit would hold it.

There are a lot of trucks over 1200 hp in both the gas and diesel world running a Detroit locker up front in a 106. Are you sure there wasn't some other issue with that particular unit?

PM incoming.

Last edited:
Part of me wants to hope it was just the unit but I can not say it for sure. One spring went weak in the locker and it took about 4 pulls of doing lousy before we figured out one tire was locking unlocking going down the track. almost un-noticeable but you could see the spray of dirt changing velocity on one front wheel and not the other. So we took the front end apart and one spring was MUCH weaker then the other. We changed the springs and the truck was back up in the top 3 till the end of the season where we broke our rear 106 in the final pull of the season.

The other big trucks in our club don't run a Detroit. And I'm pretty sure (not 100% though) The top truck in the NTPA don;t use them either.

So I'm gonna try this year using a lock out hub.

Attachments

• east angus champion resize 2.jpg
    east angus champion resize 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
Always ran a locker in the past, never had any trouble. Lately, everytime I break something
it messes up the locker. Broke something, removed the locker, and all the teeth were cleaned off one side. Broke something a year later, removed the locker, looked OK. But just didn't feel like tires were "locked" into the track, after that. Replaced the locker, pulled like normal. Hate messing with lockouts, but seems like lockers only work when they want to work!

not trying to derails this thread, but where can you get relpacement parts for a detroit locker? i have one sitting here for a D80 i could use some parts for.