what decides gearing?

Sreno68

I was just wondering how you figure what gears to run for a pulling truck? I have an 01 dodge ppumped with a 6 speed, i broke an axle last night so i figured id start getting it ready for next year and am trying to figure out what gears to run. Any input would be great!

Experience is the biggest factor, but tire size, hp and what rpm you need to get down the track

What part off Ohio are u from? Im planning on running with full pull next year. Are u formiliar with there series?

I plann on leaving at 5000 next year, but don't know what I'll be able to maintain down the track. And I would like to run dual 35" BFg's. I am shooting for 7-750hp.

Well the best i can tell you is to do alot of reading because those 3 numbers you posted dont go well together

Well to make enough hp power to turn 35's hard enough to be competitive your gona need to make more then 750. 5000 at the line means nothing if you can only care 3000 down the track

35 duals will take 900-1000 hp min to be successful IMO. But if thats the tire you want to run and your only around 700-750 hp I would recommend 5.13's. But there is Alot more information you need to figure out to better choose gearing.

So would I be better off with the 33's and 4.88's with my hp? 1000hp is not in the budget for this winter lol

It runs decent, I fought with bouncing problems and some carnage since I've been pullin it. So I don't have many good runs to really see what's goin on but last night was a good hook until the axle snapped. It was just about to die out when it broke. And it has 3.55's and duals on it at the moment so I know the 3.55's are not good I have a video of it but I'd have to figure out how to put it on.

I run with fpp I have the green vp truck.
P-pump truck around here would need 4.88 with 35" or 36's or 4.56 with 33's @4200+ pulling direct is what it's gonna take to just compete.

P-pump truck around here would need 4.88 with 35" or 36's or 4.56 with 33's @4200+ pulling direct is what it's gonna take to just compete.

I agree that's pretty much anywhere anymore....

I wouldn't bother with 4.56's if your going to the expense of a gear swap 4.88's is the least to make it worth while.

What hp range do you think is needed for dual 33's 4.88 gears. Say he can maintain 3500-4000 going down the track

True! I run 4.88 and run direct drive. After the last few upgraded i need 4.56 gears or 35's

I am at 2:40 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y39lUIwV2k&feature=g-all-lik"]FPP, 2.6, Mercer Raceway, 9/15/12 - YouTube[/ame]

From my smart car.

Step 1 = take truck to a dyno and graph your power curve.

Step 2 = log your truck pulling down the track.

Step 3 = compare your rpm's at the track to your dyno graph.

Step 4 = adjust your gear ratio to put you where you want to be on the dyno graph.

Step 5 = hope that all the tracks you run on are similar!

Yes there will be variables, but this method will get you in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Back