What do you think happen here? Ford 6.0L

STLDiesel

jr37815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dropped a valve for some reason or another. could have been a broken retainer, hung open injector, or someone dropping a bolt in the intake while doing an egr delete or oil cooler (seen that one a few times).

Any more details on this? The injectors on these don't usually just "hang open," more often than not when there is destruction of that caliber from the injector, it's from a cracked nozzle leaking in all the time.

I'm just going to guess over-rev and valves hit the piston. Was this truck a manual transmission truck by any chance?

That looks like a fairly new head gasket. Did you account for all tool and bolts before trying to start it? Might be self inflicted.

imagine the look on the guys face who started that baby up and heard that clatter....

Picture from a shop asking what happened...? Trying to cover his a$$ or trying to diagnose? The truth shall set you free LOL

Maybe a pushrod wasnt seated correctly in the lifter. Had that happen to me but I turned it over by had before trying to crank it. So no damage was done.

That looks like a fairly new head gasket. Did you account for all tool and bolts before trying to start it? Might be self inflicted.

Thinking the same. I have scene more than a few with a bolt beat into the piston. Those speed bolts will getcha.:hehe:

Oh i bet we don't. I'm betting this stldiesel left a bolt in there. Look at the broke piece in the center of the piston with a perfectly round dent in it. Wonder how that got there. That's a costly phuck up!

Look at the piece thats at about 8 oclock in the piston
Possibbly an 8mm bolt that holds the HPOP cover on.

Last edited: