What engine do you prefer

morkable

Just Over Broke
I am looking at some Diesel pusher Motorhomes. I am looking at 2 in particular, 1 has a 400 cummins in it, and the other is a 500 cummins. Is one better than the other? Is there easy quick mods to help either of these units out, especially to help fuel mileage?

Thanks for any input that you might have

Kevin

Is there any aftermarket stuff for either of these engines,, anyone know?

Kevin

Im not sure.. I think that they are both 8.9l,, but I am not a 100 percent sure on that either,, I am trying to figure out what kind of pump they run and all of that stuff

kevin

8.9L is an ISL, that could be the 400hp one, but I'd bet the 500hp is an ISM...660CID instead of 540ish in the ISL.

ISL is a punched out 8.3L, they've only been used for about 5 years IIRC. ISM is the new version of the M11 and old L10 engines...good engines.

PM Snedge...he's the big Cummins guru!
Chris

Chris, is the 500 a good engine? I am kind of leaning towards it,,, being as I like HP and all,, LOL

Kevin

Without knowing what it is for sure, I can't tell you.

However, looking at Cummins website for Motorhome applications, it would almost have to be an ISM. Should be a good engine...we used the old Tier 2 engine is combines at 330hp...have a couple of them nearing 5000 hours with only routine maintenance, and a few more over 3000 hours.

What year is the coach? Anything newer than 2004 will have EGR, which I believe they have had some issues with the EGR Valves.

As far as boosting the power and mileage...I couldn't tell you. Snedge probably could. It should be a cam fired injector, electronically controlled of course...but 500hp is the biggest Cummins offers according to the website...maybe the dealers can bump them up a bit more?

Chris

RV's are cool. Diesel RV's are way cool. See if you can get an engine number from your dealer and I'll tell you everything you want to know. PM me the number if you want.

I will try to do that,, I do know that the 500 unit is an 03, and the 400 is an 05 or 6,, cant remember right at this moment... both nice units, about the same money

Kevin

The 03 unit would be pre-emmsions I should think...no EGR...very much gooder:D:D

Get that ESN to Snedge, he'll hook you up!
Chris

Gooder is good,, lol,, the 03 is pretty darn fancy too.. lol

Kevin

you have to find out which engine the newer one is. you really cant go wrong with either one. the ism is fairly well known for egr valve problems. some cooler issues but nothing major. if you can by any chance get the engine serial numbers pm me and I can check warranty history on them.
(I worked for Cummins)