What fluids do I want to use?

AMMO22

BANNED
After the fuel filiter and air filter discoveries of filth on my wifes new 24V, I'm replacing everything!! Diff, trans, transfer case fluids and any associated filters. What do I want to use in each area? For the oil she'll be running Premium Blue. I just need some guidance on the trans and diff fluid choices.

Amsoil or lucas... if not that find a good synthetic fluid for your diffs and tranny at least.

Diffs, T-case, and manual transmissions (stock) don't have filtration of any kind. They don't have open air coolers of any kind. If your not spending the little extra on synthetics, you are doing yourself a disfavor.

Amsoil makes a nice 5/30 MTF for the NV5600 and NV4500. I have heard of people having great luck with Redline in the transmission also.

The T-case SHOULD be an ATF. I run B&M Trickshift synthetic in mine, and it seems to work great.

I also run synthetic gear lube in the diffs. I personally like valvoline products for gear oil. I'm running out of spec 85-140 in the rear, and 75/90 in the front if I recall correctly. Its about time for the yearly fluid change, so I will have to check my log and see what I used last time.

Thanks guys. Her truck is an auto, so from what I'm seeing I'll be dropping the pan for the transmisison maint. Should I adjust the bands while I'm in there or does that make a big difference.

I've heard Valvoline is the way to go for the diff fluids. I'll probably do the PSD soon too. It just makes me feel a lot more at ease knowing this stuff is done.
Thanks guys!!

I don't mind the Amsoil in my diffs. I didn't see the MPG gain they advertised, but I wasn't expecting to either. For the transfercase, I run Castrol or Valvoline ATF+3. Same for the stock automatic tranny.

You may want to do yourself a favor and put a cast aluminum tranny pan with built-in drain plug so the fluid change next time won't be a mess.

brandon.

I changed out everything except the engine oil to Amsoil, because I wanted to "fill it and forget it." Amsoil was the best, IMHO. I use dino oil in the engine because I am not interested in extended drain intervals, and it has had Rotella since day 1 to 150k miles. I am going to switch to Premium Blue because of the Rotella smell.