what head gasket for o-rings

CUMMINSTD

New Ride, Poor Wallet :/
im Taking My Head To Have It O-Ringed Friday And Need To Order My Gasket tomorrow. Do I Use The Older 24V Or 12V marine Gasket? I've Heard Both But The 24V SeemTo Be More Popular. Also What Needs To Me Modified On The Gasket? And Do I Use A Standard Or A Marine Gasket?

From the more knowledgeable folks on here they say that O-rings are not needed on a CR. A good RA finish off 25 or better on the head and block with ARP625's you will be good to go. From what is in your signature I don't see a need for O-rings.

Do a search on it. Plenty of good reading.

I Keep Popping Head Gaskets, The Block And Head Was Done Last Build, Seems That I Rings Are A Bit More Forgiving On Some Things If The Surfaces Are Not Quite Perfect. I'm Sure I Have Some High Drive Pressures With The Stock Turbo, Not Sure If That's A Contributing Factor Or Not. My Gaskets Aren't Blowing Out, They Are Pushing Between The Mls layers

I Keep Popping Head Gaskets, The Block And Head Was Done Last Build, Seems That I Rings Are A Bit More Forgiving On Some Things If The Surfaces Are Not Quite Perfect. I'm Sure I Have Some High Drive Pressures With The Stock Turbo, Not Sure If That's A Contributing Factor Or Not. My Gaskets Aren't Blowing Out, They Are Pushing Between The Mls layers

Can't see your Sig on my phone but I say Get some better studs or lower timing some. Oring is not needed with commonrail. Good flat surfaces and 625 will do the trick. Thats all my puller has. I lifted ne head with arp 425 studs at 700hp twice and it pushed through the layers blowing coolant out the overflow. Im North of 900hp now on fresh build with no problems using 625 and thin MLS.

Can't see your Sig on my phone but I say Get some better studs or lower timing some. Oring is not needed with commonrail. Good flat surfaces and 625 will do the trick. Thats all my puller has. I lifted ne head with arp 425 studs at 700hp twice and it pushed through the layers blowing coolant out the overflow. Im North of 900hp now on fresh build with no problems using 625 and thin MLS.

I have heard this a lot, my only concern is the block. it was decked about 15,000 miles ago, should it still be good?

Also with my block being decked once, and the head done twice now, im getting worried about piston to valve clearance. With a thin gasket, my intake valves tapped my piston, I can slightly see the outline on the top of the piston

Surfaces need to be flat orings or not. If you needed deck more then buy another head, flycut pistons, use a thicker gasket or shorter pushrods.

How about getting a straight edge and seeing what you have instead of guessing?

Mls gaskets do work, if a person does them right. However, there is nothing wrong with a modified 12/24v gasket and o-rings if you so desire to waste a CR head. As mentioned, Snedge on here usually has what you need, in stock or short order.

Learn later or learn now, rushing things and skipping steps pushing things along typically winds up more expensive in the long run. Slow down, check what you have to work with, then come up with the best plan.

Since Mls And 625s Seem To Be The Most Popular Response, I Think That's What I'll Do. What's The Tolerance For Flatness On The Block And Head?

You might wanna worry about your Piston to Deck clearence before you go any further TheBigNasty was givin you truly solid advise, dont order anything , Deck clearence shoud be no more than .003 if I do recall right , if tis more than you need more work.

If you have bad tollerances, you might think about Fire ringing your Block and going with MLS, and a good flat heand and 625's , this should keep everything in check.

You might wanna worry about your Piston to Deck clearence before you go any further TheBigNasty was givin you truly solid advise, dont order anything , Deck clearence shoud be no more than .003 if I do recall right , if tis more than you need more work.

If you have bad tollerances, you might think about Fire ringing your Block and going with MLS, and a good flat heand and 625's , this should keep everything in check.

I got a good deal on some 625's, so ill go ahead and order them since ill need them anyways, then ill just check everything out once I pull it apart and go from there

Good idea, I, We want you to have great time with truck and stop having to yank it apart all the time, not trying to beat on ya , just give good advise..

Just rember, not to put cart before the horse..LOL, hard to not wanna just jam it together and haul some azz , i know, now i have a leaky HG too .

If you really must do o rings, look up the procedure for it, I forget what the protrusion spec is but you use copper wire instead of stainless steel.