What is the best exhaust set up?

fordtk12

Banned
4" staight pipe, 5" with a muffler, cat or no cat.

Just wanted to see everyones thoughts.

On a single turbo truck, I found even the 4'' straight pipe was obnoxious and droned very loud in the truck..

The CR come stock with 4" they just have a cat and a restrictive muffler on them.

if im thinking right now all CR's come with 4"
i think the 03- early 04.5 came with 3.5".
actually i know they did and with NO cat.

Do you want the best sound wise, or best performance wise? I love the sound of a 5 inch straight on a Cummins, but thats prolly not the best performing. I have buddies running a 4 inch with a performance muffler, no cat, and making real good power.

if you plan on buying an exhaust then get the 5", if not just straight pipe the stock exh.

i have 4" mbrp on mine and the droan is freaking bad!
im putting my cat & the mbrp muffler on it next week.

i love stock now! haha

Do you want the best sound wise, or best performance wise? I love the sound of a 5 inch straight on a Cummins, but thats prolly not the best performing. I have buddies running a 4 inch with a performance muffler, no cat, and making real good power.

I want both that is the problem. I am thinking about leaving the cat on and putting a 5" catback on. Any thoughts on that? Anyone?

if you plan on buying an exhaust then get the 5", if not just straight pipe the stock exh.

This is what I am trying to figure out which way is best.

4in is loud when pulling a load IMO, the 5in has a deeper tone is just as loud but not as raspy as the 4in, and the 5 looks better. as far as flow not much difference until your really dumping the fuel.

5 inch, 5 inch, 5 inch. The less bends the better. I have custom dual 5 inch and it makes a SIG 600 in a 8 inch stacked Big Daddy Kenworth sound weak!!!$.02

the signature 600 arent that loud IMO, but if i was to buy another exhaust it would be the 5in.

i currently have a 4" turboback from hog performance... deletes the CAT but runs a muffler. no drone, not obnoxious, only makes noise when you want it to. lol.

Right now I have the stock 4" downpipe to 5" up into a 3x6" box, and out into two 6" mitre stacks, its a little loud when anything above idle, but I love the sound.

I also ran 4" downpipe, and 5" from where the cat used to be, straight on out, no muffler for a while before the stacks, and I loved it too, I may even go back to it sometime soon, with a 7" tip though:rockwoot: , just gotta fab it up.

I liked both setups, both loud, both obnoxious, but thats how I roll.
Sound deadener helped alot with interior drone, but it doesnt bother me that much anyway.

Clutch1 said:
the signature 600 arent that loud IMO, but if i was to buy another exhaust it would be the 5in.

OK, I'll take your word for it.:hehe: LOL :hehe: LOL :hehe: LOL

I hade a stright pipe on her for a year but on long trips towing a trailer it got Old . So I got an MBRP s/s 4' MUFFLER and now she has a little deeper rumble to her and the drone Is gone . Good Luck F/P

I have 5" turbo back, through bed and into 6" stacks. No muffler or cat. Makes the common rail sound real good. None of that raspy crap that a stock straight piped Cummins sounds like.