What oil and lube for cam break in???

2007 5.9

West Coast Dyno Modifier
What kind of assembly lube and oil do I use for breaking in m new cam??

No instructions came with the cam....I was thinking using Redline assembly lube on the cam, and using Royal Purple break in oil for break in, then using my oil of choice with adding stp oil treament for the added ZDDP.

Thought or advise???

Lucas makes a good zddp addative that you can get at Morgans in Walnut Creek, thats what I use. The Redline assembly lube is to thin for the cam IMHO. I like something thicker almost like a greese for the cam. Comp cams stuff is really good and I use it all the time on the race engines I used to build and have never had an issue with any of my cams.

Joe

I will talk to my shipping guy to see what happened to the install guidelines. I can have them faxed to you tomorrow or you can save a tree (if your into that) and look on my website under zach's blog. There are install guidelines on there.

As far as what lube is best. When I build engines I use lubriplate 105 mixed with lucas or stp oil additive to coat the cam. It works great to stick to the cam until you get oil pressure. I don't like to use oil additive like lucas or STP on new engines though. STP does add more surface tension to the oil partly due to a little bit of zinc, but the main way it adds surface tension is through making the oil more viscous(thicker) just like Lucas. On a new engine this is not good when you are trying to seat the rings correctly. The zinc additive we sell is good because it does not make the oil super thick or more viscous, it works due to the high pressure properties of zinc and phosphorous in keeping the parts from shearing through the oil film not just providing a super thick cushion.

I have heard some good things about lucas break in additive. I would steer clear of the royal purple break in oil. Just use the oil that you always run with a good zinc additive. We sell the additive for 12.99. This with the normal oil you run would probably be a lot cheaper than royal purple break in oil. And if you are spending the extra money for royal purple go ahead and get a better zinc additive than STP. If you want some boring reading to go to sleep to look up the thread on our zinc additive under the hamilton cam section of vendor row. It has a ppm comparison on a lot of the leading zinc additives vs. ours. Goodluck with the install!

Zach

I will talk to my shipping guy to see what happened to the install guidelines. I can have them faxed to you tomorrow or you can save a tree (if your into that) and look on my website under zach's blog. There are install guidelines on there.

As far as what lube is best. When I build engines I use lubriplate 105 mixed with lucas or stp oil additive to coat the cam. It works great to stick to the cam until you get oil pressure. I don't like to use oil additive like lucas or STP on new engines though. STP does add more surface tension to the oil partly due to a little bit of zinc, but the main way it adds surface tension is through making the oil more viscous(thicker) just like Lucas. On a new engine this is not good when you are trying to seat the rings correctly. The zinc additive we sell is good because it does not make the oil super thick or more viscous, it works due to the high pressure properties of zinc and phosphorous in keeping the parts from shearing through the oil film not just providing a super thick cushion.

I have heard some good things about lucas break in additive. I would steer clear of the royal purple break in oil. Just use the oil that you always run with a good zinc additive. We sell the additive for 12.99. This with the normal oil you run would probably be a lot cheaper than royal purple break in oil. And if you are spending the extra money for royal purple go ahead and get a better zinc additive than STP. If you want some boring reading to go to sleep to look up the thread on our zinc additive under the hamilton cam section of vendor row. It has a ppm comparison on a lot of the leading zinc additives vs. ours. Goodluck with the install!

Zach

So what you are saying is...for my swap I should just use my oil of choice and use a quality ZDDP addative for break in and continue to use this mix for futrther oil changes???

I am just trying to minimize any potential damage to the new cam during break in and down the road.

I just read your blog...questions answered.:snoop:

Thanks
Les

The only people that I have seen that have had any issues during break in either,
1- Had trash in their block
2- made up some special oil concoction with 2 or three different products.

I have never seen anybody have any problems that just ran their normal oil with a quality zinc additive.

Zach