What size battery cable

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
In the process of installing new batteries yesterday I cracked two of my terminals so I'm gonna build some new cables. Dodge wants $270 for the two I need. I priced 0 gauge wire at $3.50/ft and two terminals at $3/piece. Is 0 gauge wire enough or should I get 00? Thanks.

Only reason I'm thinking 00 is my sound system but the factory size has been working fine so I'm thinking I'll just stick with it. That and I'm broke as hell and can barely afford the 0. LOL

FWIW

Ampacity of a single 0 awg copper conductor in free air is 260 amps and 00 is 300 give or take. Different insulation and wire weaving technology will change those numbers, but you can see they aren't that far apart.

does the strand count highly affect the ampacity of the wire? most of the wire at the stereo shops is oxygen free does this help also? Im asking because i want to move my second battery to the bed of my truck and was wondering what type of wire to use.

I would call you local welding supply houses. You can't beat the flexibility of welding cable when it comes to routing under and around your truck. That is what I use. The Oxy free is a marketing ploy. Yes, it may be better as far as keeping the conductors from turing black on the outside surface, but it ain't gonna affect a 0 or 00 size cable. Just use good terminals on the ends and welding lead will be fine. You can also use those welding lead pin and socket connectors to connect/disconnet cables. I like them. $.02

Well I'm gonna be using 0 or 00 welding cable since that's what was recommended to me by a couple of people so I figure that that stuff can handle a lot more amps than my measly 1750w sound system can draw.