What size dowel rods for cam swap?

1911 guy

Trunk Monkey
Well i finally made it home from Afghanistan. Im now in the process of doing this cam swap. Im ready to pull it but i forgot what size dowel i need to hold the lifters. Also how long do they need to be? Thanks guys.

1/2 x 12'' Make sure you file the ends good because when I did it i broke 2 of my lifters.

I saw thryu the middle of the about 1 inch deep to let them flex them you hammer them in the lifter.

Adam

I use hose clamps to hold mine up. Takes a lil more time but no chance of losin one in the pan. The dowel is nice to hold them temp though.$.02

I used 1/2" dowels and cut a taper at one end. Then, I cut thru the middle, so they could flex. May not need the taper, but worked for me. I used some wooden clothespins to hold the dowel up, but my head was off. To install the lifters, I made a tool from a 1/2" rubber faucet washer, a bolt and a string. It kind of test your nerves to pull the lifter tray out, let the lifter swing on string to align the lifter to the bore, before you can slide the tray back under the lifter.

Last edited:
Dowels should be 1/2" by 12-14". I got mine from lowes and they didn't fit down the hole smoothly, so I gave each one a light sand. You'll wanna taper one end, but not too much. On the tapered end I drilled a small pilot hole, which seemed to work well. If you taper it too much, you'll know, just try it again on the other side.

Here's a few links with pics

Cam Install on a 3rd gen with pics - TDR Roundtable

Relentless Diesel View topic - PDR Camshaft Install

Dodge Cummins Diesel Engine Camshaft Swap - Diesel Power Magazine

As others have said, a standard 1/2" wooden dowel as found at Lowe's, about 14" long works well. I cut mine with a regular hacksaw in an "X" pattern so as to allow them to compress a little with going into the lifter.

CrossCutPost.jpg

Surprisingly, a cap from a stupid high-liter marker works very well for pulling the lifters back into the block.

LifterLifter.jpg

Replace the Cam & Lifters in a 12v

Last edited:
i used a cheap pen magnet to pull my lifters in. Cut the end off, drilled a small hole in it and tied some heavy duty fishing line to it...

Yep best luck ive had is with 1/2inch dowel rod 14inch long grind the ends down a lil bit and make a saw cut up the middle an inch or so then when u pull both up take a few rubber bands around the 2 to hold them up... or you could pay 70bucks a piece for the same thing from cummins lol!

or you could put little magnets at the end of each dowel rod too.

JOe

As others have said, a standard 1/2" wooden dowel as found at Lowe's, about 14" long works well. I cut mine with a regular hacksaw in an "X" pattern so as to allow them to compress a little with going into the lifter.

CrossCutPost.jpg

Surprisingly, a cap from a stupid high-liter marker works very well for pulling the lifters back into the block.

LifterLifter.jpg

Replace the Cam & Lifters in a 12v

Is that your truck in the link? I don't think I've seen a cummins engine that clean other then a reman engine from the factory!! what's the secret?