what size lift with these tires?

Dezlsmkr

I have a 96 with just a leveling kit. I bought new 20x10 Motometals 950's on a Nitto Dune grappler 305/55/20 which they measure exactly 33x12.50 i dont think they are going to clear. What is the least lift i would need to clear them or does anybody have them. I though about maybe a 3" or so, but wasnt sure if that would be enough.

Dezlsmkr said:
I have a 96 with just a leveling kit. I bought new 20x10 Motometals 950's on a Nitto Dune grappler 305/55/20 which they measure exactly 33x12.50 i dont think they are going to clear. What is the least lift i would need to clear them or does anybody have them. I though about maybe a 3" or so, but wasnt sure if that would be enough.

I had some 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's on my 97 without any lift and they cleared just fine. They were on AR Nitro wheels. Mounted on the truck they measured 34.5x12.75. No rubbing on fenderwells, only a slight rub on airdam under front bumper, trimmed maybe 1/8 off and had no problems after that.

Here's a pic of them on the truck. They look super close, and they were close, but they never rubbed.
pickups_027.jpg

Last edited:
well i have 315/75/16 on it now with no problem. They are about wore out but they measure under 33 when i measure them out, plus they are on a 8" rim whereas the new ones are on a 10" I am just really woriied about clearance like i said if i have to lif it i will but i would rather not have to do that. Thanks

I am still lost on this issue. I thought about going with a 3" but would that be enough i dont want to go very high with it. I love the height it is at but unfortunatly i will not be able to afford more tires if i chews these up on the pinch weld. Thanks for any help.

Dezlsmkr said:
I am still lost on this issue. I thought about going with a 3" but would that be enough i dont want to go very high with it. I love the height it is at but unfortunatly i will not be able to afford more tires if i chews these up on the pinch weld. Thanks for any help.

Have you had them on the truck yet? Turn the steering while parked, have someone watch for interference with the tire and fenderwell. If that clears, find a curb or other stationary obeject, and put one tire on it, and turn then. If there is any interference, you'll know. Doesn't tear up the tires, you know what you need to do, and you can go from there.

I've already told you I ran tires 1.5" taller and a hair wider that what you have with no problems, and had aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing. Try it out, if they hit, put the other ones on til you have your lift.

I had 305/70r16's on mine when I bought it and they never reubbed no matter what at stock height. Now I have 315/75r16's and they scrub the plastic fender well but I think a 2.75" leveling kit in my garage with some .5"-.75" longer control arms will cure that.

I also have a big heavy bumper on the front so I'm sure it sags a little extra because of that...

A friend of mine put 305/55/20's with 20x10 wheels on his 02 and it clears BARELY because of the backspacing. But it does clear with no rubbing.. I run 325/60/20's with the same wheels and barely clear, but I have 1/2" forward control arms... I have another friend who runs 37x12.5's on his truck with just a leveling kit, he built 1.5" forward controls arms and they don't rub. But you have to have an aftermarket bumper or do a bit of plastic trimming up front for that one..

Thanks for all the replies. Kas83 i understand what your running as i have that exact setup now. The 315/75/16 with Hello Max 8" wheels and barely clear. Here lies the problem my friend runs 35/12.50/17 on a 17x10 and they slam into the fender. I know the 315 will clear what my question was will 10" wide wheels make or break the deal.

Lucky Jeff you answered my question, that is exactly what i needed to know, Thank you.

A friend of mine put 305/55/20's with 20x10 wheels on his 02 and it clears BARELY because of the backspacing. But it does clear with no rubbing.. I run 325/60/20's with the same wheels and barely clear, but I have 1/2" forward control arms... I have another friend who runs 37x12.5's on his truck with just a leveling kit, he built 1.5" forward controls arms and they don't rub. But you have to have an aftermarket bumper or do a bit of plastic trimming up front for that one..

LJ, was searching the bombers who was that, that built the 1.5" arms? I'd like to talk to him!! LMK

LJ, was searching the bombers who was that, that built the 1.5" arms? I'd like to talk to him!! LMK

He goes by "Tow Rig". I just asked him yesterday when he'll be able to make me a set. He said he's got a couple things he is working on right now and then he will be able to get to mine. I'm sure he can make you a set as well. Either that or he can tell you all of the parts you will need to order.

My 315/75/16's on a 10" wide wheel with 4.5" of back spacing and a 2" leveling kit would dang near rip the fender off. With the stock 8" wheels it would rub on the lower control arm. To clear the aftermarket wheels I went with a 4.5" lift. No rub at all no matter what.

i have 305-55-20 on my 12v no lift at all just ,, hits the splash shield at full lock

I have only a leveling kit and I'm running Mickey Thompson ATZs 35x13.5x20 on a 9 inch rim. She's only rubbed twice in the last year and a half

Attachments

• Photo-0085.jpg
    Photo-0085.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 5