What to look out for?

SmokeN 12 ValvE

Diesel Enthusiast
Possibly going to look at an 04 Chevy duramax, this evening or tomorrow, its an extended cab, long bed, 4x4 with 265000 miles on it. What do I need to be on the look out for.

#1-8 Injector problems. Check the oil for fuel. Check balance rates. Excess smoke or diesel smell can be indicators, too.

LB7 or LLY makes a difference... You could get both in 04', LLY are considered 04.5' and have external injectors. LB7 injectors are under the valve cover and far more problematic and labor intensive to replace.

The above reply's are good to check also.

Thanks for the replies.

I did get the vin (going to look at it today), the eighth digit is 2 so it is an 04.5.

Then its an LLY. Good.

Id look for evidence of head gaskets leaking (hard upper hose when cold, telltales in coolant overflow bottle, etc). x2 on T-case, check trans fluid, etc

Ide be more worried about a headgasket than blow by..... I guess at 260k blow by is a potential problem for anything.

This kit is handy for checking combustion gas leakage into the coolant. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=642924&PartNo=GDCT16&group_id=675582&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all Other companies make similar kits.

I would also still scrutinize the balance rates, just because the LLY's arent as noted for injector failures as the LB7 doesn't mean they dont fail.

Last edited:
HG, and a hurt trans. They can't take much programing with the stock trans

Thanks for the advise fellas. Went and picked it up today. Its a basic truck no power options, but couldn't beat the price.

IMG_20120827_191526.jpg