what turbo should i get? 375 to 400rwhp

jaybuller

USCG MK
Alright im doin some reaserch on what turbo i should get? Heres my set up it will have a #100 plate, 3gsk, timing at 15.5*, i want to have around 375 to 400rwhp or so. I want it to be the most efficaint turbo, like keeping my egts very cool, low cylinder pressures and low lag. Im trying to get my truck to run smooth, cool and get good mpg as well as have some balls when i step into it.

S300G/Super B will do great for you. Very quick spooling, will move alot of air on the turbine side.

35/40 hybrid with a 14cm wg housing. I have a similar setup and it works great.

I don't understand why you'd want the small turbine of the HX, when an S300G will out flow it every time. And lightly used ones are going pretty cheap, just a little more than a rebuild on the HX and the 35/40 wheel kit.

The S300G housing is gating all 6 cylinders without any modification, the gates flow more, and it will be very similar in spooling to a 35/40/14 wg combo.

alright with my stock turbo it heats up right now. thats with out any injectors or anything. i run cruisin down the road empty at about 650 and a on a grade i run about 1200 tops but thats still 300 degrees hotter than what it was before the plate. i used to run about 500 cruising and about 900 tops up a hill.

1200's nothing to worry about. If you have some burning need to spend money, by all means do.

yeah i mean anything i do to this truck is just burnin money its not a neccecity at all. I would just like it to run as cool in the egt department as it was intended to run stock. If that is even possible? See the whole idea for me is to build this truck so the thing will run this good for miles and miles im talkin a few hundred thousand miles not just a good hundred

Leave it stock, if you dont want EGT problems. How do you have your plate, starwheel and AFC setup?

my plate is #11 stock loc. afc bumped ahead i tiny bit.. star wheel turned so it burns clean nromal driving and if i let the turbo lite before completly stepping into it. I mean the thing runs good like it sets but i was gonna go with some good injectors like 90hp or somthing like that and figured i might need a charger to keep it cool

Have you ever checked for a boost leak? Your egts shouldnt be that high with that setup.

If your going to do some injectors, you will need a turbo.

I am now running a Engineered Diesel 62/68/14 and its the cats ass.

I have ran a 62/65/14, a 64/71/14 and a 64/74/14.

I tow a 10k camper and this turbo (62/68/14) is the best one so far. I will be building a twin setup soon also.

What kind of injectors are you looking at?

Upgraded injectors and your truck will definately require a larger turbo than what I suggested.

I had a 97 with very similar mods put down 311/660, #11 plate, 15* timing, BHAF, highflow muffler. More tuning and a little more air would have put me around 375rwhp easy.

04.5+ common rail charger is pretty darn good for 400hp IMO. Spools awesome, and EGT's are quite a bit lower than the stock turbo. It really impressed me. Now, at 400hp, it will still get hot when you are running it hard, but it will tow, and daily drive awesome with no EGT issues at all.

If you are going with an S300 for 400hp and you want to try to keep the EGT's in check and keep fast spool, I think a 62/65/12 would be a pretty good turbo for you. Its hard to get a turbo that spools really fast and still cools a decent bit of HP good though.

Eric

yeah i mean anything i do to this truck is just burnin money its not a neccecity at all. I would just like it to run as cool in the egt department as it was intended to run stock. If that is even possible? See the whole idea for me is to build this truck so the thing will run this good for miles and miles im talkin a few hundred thousand miles not just a good hundred

everything in my sig on my truck wit 280k and still counting. i plan on rebuilding it at 300k tho.

i realize there arre a lot of high mileage modded trucks out there but how many have actually been modded for that amount of miles? i mean i forsee a lot of these modded trucks that already have 200k+ before they start modding arnt gonna last 75,000 more miles before bein worn out ole nags.

Mine is basicly a new engine, acccording to the oil analisis and the compression readings. And i would like it to stay that way. The whole reason i didnt go more than 15.5* timing is because of the extra load it places on the lower half of the conrod bearings and also didnt want the injector to spray out side the bowl of the piston.
Now i would like to get a charger that keeps the egts cool as stock or at least close. I realise when im on it hard the egts will be more than stock but just normal light driving there has got to be somthing out there that will keep them at stock levels.

I installed the SuperB on my truck. Egt's are way down compared to the stock turbo but I am running a #10 plate and DDP 75HP inj. I have my plate set on the conservative side it is setting at 8.5mm from the front of the plate to the inside wall of the pump. I did have the plate set around 7.5mm. I moved it 1mm to have better egt's while pulling the 10k 5th wheel.

Tony has tried several different turbos as you can see and it really looks like the 62/68/74 is doing a good job. I might be interested in this turbo myself.

Tony can you give us some boost egt numbers while pulling your trailer.
Roger

thanks is the super b a turbo known for lasting a while? I know some turbos seem to not last as long due to either loose assmbly tolerances or just cheap parts. I know nothing about the super b but will deffinatly look into them. So what exactly do the numbers mean? i realize there all mm measurements but what are they measuring? the last on your turbo is 74 but the last # on the others are low nubers like 14? Thank you guys for all the help

The 62/65/12 is the quickest spooling turbo and should be good for 400-500hp. The 62/71/13 will have a bit more lag. Both will get the job done.
Billy

Back