what turbo should i get? 375 to 400rwhp

thanks is the super b a turbo known for lasting a while? I know some turbos seem to not last as long due to either loose assmbly tolerances or just cheap parts. I know nothing about the super b but will deffinatly look into them. So what exactly do the numbers mean? i realize there all mm measurements but what are they measuring? the last on your turbo is 74 but the last # on the others are low nubers like 14? Thank you guys for all the help

i believe the 74 is supposed to be a 14.

Garrett

thanks is the super b a turbo known for lasting a while? I know some turbos seem to not last as long due to either loose assmbly tolerances or just cheap parts. I know nothing about the super b but will deffinatly look into them. So what exactly do the numbers mean? i realize there all mm measurements but what are they measuring? the last on your turbo is 74 but the last # on the others are low nubers like 14? Thank you guys for all the help

compressor wheel/ turbine wheel/ exhaust housing (in cm)

I think that for a mild every day driver the Super B Turbo can't be beat! It will deliver the power that you are looking for without a doubt. I run a bit more turbo but somtimes wish I didn't......

for 400hp, i would stay with the super B 57/65/12, that will be the quickest spooling combo, yet still cool better than the stock turbo.

Wes

so whats the deal? the smaller diameter the turbine wheel the faster it spools but biiger turbine wheel spools slower but produces more volume? how bout the compressor wheel # the smaller the faster and higher boost and the biger gets more volume, less boost pressure and slower spool time? and then last the smaller the exaust housing size the faster the spool but the higher the egt? and the bigger exaust housing the slower spool but lower egt.

did i get that all right? i dont care to have a little lag it doesnt bother me. i would mainly want cooler egt with less cylinder pressure.

I agree with what both Paul and Tony said on the stock turbo being capable of 400hp....The only change I would make to ensure EGT management would be a 16cm exhaust housing instead of the 12cm.The bigger 16cm housing would lower the total boost seen by the turbo down about 4spi but would raise the HP about 20 or so.The 12cm housing on the HX35's is way to restrictive once you go above 300hp and it then causes heat issues,both in EGT's and heat soaked air.

I would just like it to run as cool in the egt department as it was intended to run stock.
Thats probably a unrealistic idea or thought once you have begun to modify the fueling on the truck.Air+Fuel=Power and along with that comes higher EGTS.There is a way to manage them and keep them in check,but,keep them as low as a stock-unmodified truck,I do not think so.

i realize there arre a lot of high mileage modded trucks out there but how many have actually been modded for that amount of miles? i mean i forsee a lot of these modded trucks that already have 200k+ before they start modding arnt gonna last 75,000 more miles before bein worn out ole nags.
I started modifying mine as soon as it came home with me at 13,000 miles.The 1st thing I did was install a Mallory Mount/BHAF and a TST #10 plate.It stayed like that until the head cracked at 90,000 and I then did studs,ported head,injectors,turbo and then down the slippery slope of power I went and so did my wallet.At 208,000 miles now,as of my regular maintence done today, I'd say I have along time to go before she is a "worn out ole nag".At 180,000 when we redid the headgasket after I lifted it messing around on the street,the cylinders still had the crosshatch in them and we just redid the o-rings and squared the head and put her back together for more fun.

I have had 195,000 miles of daily driving fun with this truck and one thing I will say is its never going to be worn out.I may break it again,thats possible,but it ever becoming a "worn out ole nag" I do not think so.Ask any of those who have had the chance to see my truck in person if they think its all worn out or not,chances are they will agree with me.

Here is a link to a old TDR article written by Joe Donnelly about air+fuel=power.Read it and maybe it will help you put into perspective some of the questions you may have........Andy

TDR Website

thanks Andy very helpfull. that read was long but very informative. I think im gonna stick with my stock turbo and injectors after reading that hahah

Either a 57/65/14 or a 62 version, at 400 I personally like a 62/71/14, your going to find a 12V running hotter depending in the injectors but a the 62 is probably the best overall turbo and will grow into a set of Twins later.

Jim

with a 5sp and only 15.5* timing, I think you'd like the 65mm turbine wheel more than the 71

maybe a 68 from ED? :)

I know the original poster is after turbo options, but it sounds to me like what he is after can be had with a stock turbo and an aftermarket camshaft. Unfortuneately I don't have any examples of someone running a cam on a lightly modded engine, but those that do have them have the reduction in EGT that you are after.

Just my thoughts

I have a modded stock turbo on my 96. 16cm housing and an upgraded, (58 mm) compressor wheel and housing. Cost me a couple hundred bucks. Did that about 6 years, and 70000 miles ago. With 370's and #10 plate, I laid down 396, with a little pump tuning. With DDP4's, I laid down 423. My cruising EGT's are under 600* at 65-70. Spools like a stock turbo.:D I won't mention how much it smokes, or how hot it gets on the top end, but I never drive it there, anyway, and I have a valet switch to eliminate all of that.

Thats why I say the HE351cw is a great turbo for what he is after. Awesome spool up with a nice 60x88mm compressor wheel that will flow some decent air, and an exaust side that should flow better than an HX35 exhaust when the gate is open, along with having about the same spool up.

If you are wanting to keep cruising EGT's down, and fast spoolup, then sticking with a stock charger of some kind will be your best bet IMO.

Eric

Still trying to figure out how a HE351cw with a 9cm exhaust housing can outflow a HX35 with a 12cm?.

Still trying to figure out how a HE351cw with a 9cm exhaust housing can outflow a HX35 with a 12cm?.

I have asked the same question many times and all the guys who use them have some kind of an answer that never seems to work out, at least in my mind.

Back