What Turbo would be better?

Dusterb318

Regular Jackoff
I have a question for those more in the know than I. Right now I have an S300 62/65/14 sitting on the bench. It is rebuilt and has a new turbine wheel....ready to roll. With some reading I have done I think this might be a bit to small for my 500-600 hp goals. I have the opportunity to sell this 62 to a friend that is looking for about 450-500 and I can buy a 64/71/14 for the same price I am selling the 62 for. Would the 64/71 be better for my 600hp DD goal? According to my calcs I will need 550-600hp to crack the 12 second 1/4 mile barrier. I am going to swap out my 370's for some SDX injectors here down the road but I need to make a decision on the turbo pretty quick so I don't lose out on the upgrade if the 64 will work better. So should I sell my 62 and buy the 64? Sell the 62 and put the money in the bank and save up for a Source compound kit and use my HX up top?

the 64 should handle your goals and you can always use that for a top turbo later on

One reason I picked up the 62/65 was it was cheap and I could use it as a top as well over a S400 but compounds were going to be way down the road so I was thinking if I could crack the 12 barrier with a single. If the 64 will work and then still be able to be on top for a compound set down the road that's just icing on the cake.

I had a 62/71/14 and it was a bit too small for 500 and my daily needs. I'd go with the 64/71/14, although my final decision was twins.

-Dustin-

What are you putting out now with the HX/HT3B as that would be my next option?

I haven't dyno'd yet, but I had the same fueling with the 62/71/14 as with the HX35-14/HT3B-26 and it ran loads cooler with much more midrange power.

-Dustin-

I haven't dyno'd yet, but I had the same fueling with the 62/71/14 as with the HX35-14/HT3B-26 and it ran loads cooler with much more midrange power.

-Dustin-

With the compound set-up right? I am thinking this might be the best option for me......

Yes with the compounds. I towed a 40 foot gooseneck loaded with both and the power was much more useable with the twins, EGT's better too.

-Dustin-

From talking w/ E.D. I dont believe there are making that turbo just the 62/66 compressor wheels w/ the 68mm exh. wheel, IIRC.

well that sucks. oh yeah, i remember now. the 62/66 chargers showed a rather noticeable difference whereas the 64 didnt show much. so the 71 is the way to go.

what about the 13ss exh housing?

Garrett

62/68/13 or 14 is my vote.

I have been running my ED 62/68/14 for close to 5 months now and it rocks. I have ran 4 other sized turbos and they were either to small or too big. Plus it is going to be a bad ass twin setup with my S475 this winter.

Give E.D. a call and tell them you want to upgrade your 62/65. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW CHEAP IT IS!

From talking w/ E.D. I dont believe there are making that turbo just the 62/66 compressor wheels w/ the 68mm exh. wheel, IIRC.

The 62, 66 and 68 are the compressor wheels we have a race cover for. We build plenty of 68 turbine chargers with the 64 compressor, it just uses the std 0.55 AR S300 cover. Thats all 2nd gen, the 60/62/64/66 all use the 0.55 AR S300 3rd gen cover on the CR's.

Chris

Last edited:
My truck had a set of marine injectors and a stock hx35. The truck was laggy, but hit a little on the top end. I stuck a set of SDX 5x14's in it and the truck felt so much better. It ran cleaner, had noticably more power and the truck felt lighter. I put a 62/71/14 on it and was worried about lag, but the truck spools the new turbo almost as well as the old stock turbo. I was so surprised how easily the truck makes boost. Hits pretty hard, too. Although, with how easily it spools a 62/71, I'm kinda wishing I had a 64/71.