What Weight Should Be On the Registration?

imelmo

Go away, I'm 'batin'!
So I was looking at the registration for our '05 F350 dually and noticed under "weight" it says 7000lbs. Obviously not right on any level. It's been a while since I've had to go thru the weigh station with a load, but iirc the registration weight for the truck should be the Gross Combined Weight Rating (truck, trailer, and load). Is that right? If so, according to the owner's manual it should be 23,500lbs.

So is that correct or should I be putting a different weight on the registration? This is in Louisiana if it makes a difference.

Well 7000lbs. clearly isn't enough, MD does the same stupid stuff. You could be registering a Ranger or a F350 and MD will list the GVW as 7,000lbs, unless you tell them what you want.

First let me say I am not familiar with LA so this is just from what I know from MD and surrounding states.

In MD you can do it one of two ways.
1. Register your truck for it's gross vehicle weight rating, and register your trailer for it's gross vehicle weight rating. When used in combination the two registered weights add up to give your your registered gross combined weight rating.
2. Do as you said, register the truck for the full GCVWR of the truck and trailer. You would then register the trailer at 0000lbs gvwr.

Another thought, MD doesn't do this but VA actually lists "weight" and "GVWR" on thier registrations. The "weight" block is meant to be like an empty weight or curb weight, while the "GVWR" block is just that. Don't know if they do that down in LA but could that possibly be what your are looking at on your registration?

Hmm, I bet I need to look at mine also, doubt they did it correct at the MVA.

There is no such thing as "GCVWR"

the term is "GCWR"

Most states will not allow you to register a state for zero. My experience is that plates will cost based on how much weight you want, and above a certain weight, the trailer will need to be inspected.

Your truck does not need to be plated for its full GVWR if you don't intend to load it like that. My truck has 10,000 lb plates on it because Indiana only offers 7k or 10k. When it was registered in Illinois, it had 12k lb plates on it because Illinois offers only 8k or 12k (and up from there). It weighs about 7200 so I could put an 8k plate on it if IN offered one and I didn't intend to load it at all. Many people do just that and never get caught.

My trailer has a 14k gvwr but I have never plated it for more than 8k. I don't need to load it that heavy, so I don't need to pay all that money for those plates.

Vehicles not driven for hire do not need to weigh so it's basically impossible to get caught even if you are overloaded. If you do intend to overload your truck (beyond GVWR) or trailer, it's probably better to over-plate it as well.

it needs to be the max gvwr on the door........

trailer gvw is just that - for the trailer

so if your gvw on the truck is say 9000, then you have a 10,000lb gvw trailer, i wouldnt be loaded over 19000, thats how i think it works

Hmm, I bet I need to look at mine also, doubt they did it correct at the MVA.
Travis, I am sure if you didn't tell them different when you registered it it says 7000lbs (might be 7500, I can't recall, but it is like a default weight MD MVA puts on all pickup truck registrations if you don't tell them you want something different).

There is no such thing as "GCVWR"

the term is "GCWR"

Most states will not allow you to register a state for zero. My experience is that plates will cost based on how much weight you want, and above a certain weight, the trailer will need to be inspected.

Your truck does not need to be plated for its full GVWR if you don't intend to load it like that. My truck has 10,000 lb plates on it because Indiana only offers 7k or 10k. When it was registered in Illinois, it had 12k lb plates on it because Illinois offers only 8k or 12k (and up from there). It weighs about 7200 so I could put an 8k plate on it if IN offered one and I didn't intend to load it at all. Many people do just that and never get caught.

My trailer has a 14k gvwr but I have never plated it for more than 8k. I don't need to load it that heavy, so I don't need to pay all that money for those plates.

Vehicles not driven for hire do not need to weigh so it's basically impossible to get caught even if you are overloaded. If you do intend to overload your truck (beyond GVWR) or trailer, it's probably better to over-plate it as well.

Here in az the highway patrol doesn't care what your registration says, they look at the door tag and what tag is on your trailer....my trailer is rated for 25,900 and that with my truck combined is class a cdl, in this state it doesn't matter is it's private or for hire, you will get the right dl for what equipment you have, bunch of hard a sses around here....

Finally got the correct ruling for Louisiana. The registered weight is supposed to be the GCWR here, which makes the most sense to me anyway. The GCWR for my truck is supposed to be 23,500lbs.

That said, the DMV doesn't care what you put as the rating apparently so I went ahead and put 29,500lbs. LOL

Good thing too because I crossed the scales at 27,500lbs yesterday.

In MD you can do it one of two ways.
1. Register your truck for it's gross vehicle weight rating, and register your trailer for it's gross vehicle weight rating. When used in combination the two registered weights add up to give your your registered gross combined weight rating.

Thanks Ernie for the clarification!! How you been by the way?

I was just having this discussion the other day at Dennis's shop and I thought it was just as you described. I have my tow truck registered at 12,000 lbs. and my trailer at 20,000 lbs.

Good thing too because last Friday on the way home from the track, I stopped in at the Flying J and weighed the whole rig. 29,600 lbs.

Thanks Ernie for the clarification!! How you been by the way?

I was just having this discussion the other day at Dennis's shop and I thought it was just as you described. I have my tow truck registered at 12,000 lbs. and my trailer at 20,000 lbs.

Good thing too because last Friday on the way home from the track, I stopped in at the Flying J and weighed the whole rig. 29,600 lbs.

What was on your trailer at the track that made it that heavy?

im from wv and all i did was go to the dmv and get our B plate and u can get weight ratings trom 8000-26000 and i got the max because i haul alot and have been pulled over alot for hauling by the dot because they think im overweight

That is a big ass trailer Greg! Been doing well, thanks. When did you start using that setup? Looks by the weights on the axles it should tow pretty well but dang that thing is HUGE!