What's everyone choice of starting batteries ?

snowbound

My Fomoco batteries finally froze during our 3 weeks of -35c or colder over Christmas. ( for Doug - in fahreheit , thats minus really friggen cold ) Boost it to start ,run all day, then overnight they're dead again. What batteries has everyone had the best luck with ?

I've always had good luck with Motorcraft batteries. Interstate would be my second choice.

I have the Optima RED TOP's...they suck. If I cycle the key more than 3 times to warm up the glow plugs/cycle the injectors...they are pretty much dead.
If I do it again, either the Yellow tops or Odyssey.

Last edited:
Napa 7565's they have 880cca thats more than any other battery out there. i researched batteries for a few weeks before i bought mine, they are about $100 each

The prorated warranty sucks on them. They told me to buy new ones and they'd warranty them.

The red tops work great in the boat ( costco $159 ) First pair lasted 10 years. We run the big blue tops for the trolling motor ,and they seem ok. Alot of people don't care much for Optima. I looked at Odyssey bats too , Home Depot carries them on line at $600 Canadian a pop !!

red tops are the only way to go. never have had a prob with them. I've had them in the last ten cars the family has owned. Yellow tops are deep cycle and are garbage for deep cycles. Blue tops are ideal for trolling motors as stated before. they sell quite a few different sized red tops. make sure u get the larger 34 series

I'm happy with my Odyssey batteries. But then, I don't have a long cranking issue. Never more than two revolutions, usually on the first.

Interstate. We sell alot of them at the shop. They start my truck when it was 20 below 0 not plugged in just fine. It sounds like you may have a parasitic draw.

Batteries are 03 originals. Was having troubles in the fall but decided to try nurse them along. Apparently I'm not a very good nurse.

I think you have used up your "borrowed " time with those batteries. Lucky you did not get stranded.

Red tops blow dogs for quarters. The one in my DD Toyota pickup died after 2 years. The one in the wife's Maxima lasted a little over 2 years and **** the bed. IMO they suck.

I've had the best luck with Diehard batteries. I was drinking pretty heavily one afternoon and accidentally dropped a wrench between the two terminals. It started to hiss loudly right away so I ran into the garage and grabbed a baseball bat (with rubber grip) to knock the wrench away (welded itself to the terminals). It took 4 or 5 good whacks to break it loose. The battery was swollen on all sides (couldnt get it out of the tray) and hot as hell. That battery lasted another 4 years before I sold the truck.

Red tops blow dogs for quarters. The one in my DD Toyota pickup died after 2 years. The one in the wife's Maxima lasted a little over 2 years and **** the bed. IMO they suck.

I've had the best luck with Diehard batteries. I was drinking pretty heavily one afternoon and accidentally dropped a wrench between the two terminals. It started to hiss loudly right away so I ran into the garage and grabbed a baseball bat (with rubber grip) to knock the wrench away (welded itself to the terminals). It took 4 or 5 good whacks to break it loose. The battery was swollen on all sides (couldnt get it out of the tray) and hot as hell. That battery lasted another 4 years before I sold the truck.

That is hillarious. I have always used the motorcrafts. Not the factory batteries, but the 10 year Motorcraft replacements. Since batteries are sized by groups and we have a 65 group battery, why would you go to an optima group 34? I think a Mustang is a group 36.

Battery group sizes are for physical dimension standards only. They have nothing to do with output or type of battery. NO rhyme or reason to it anyway as far as numerations go. Group 27 battery is bigger than a 65.

i always wondered too what is the best battery i guess those optima batteries never turn out to be as badass as they looked but we got this Workaholic battery on our 93 and that thing has been on there forever but what can i say its a first gen there's never too many disapointment about those trucks

Back