What's needed for diff and tranny fluid change?

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
Got my Amsoil in, just need to know what I need to make this job easier. How many quarts in front, how many in back? I know it's 6 in the tranny. Do I need any RTV to re-seal the diffs? Should I buy a hand pump to be able to put the tranny fluid in the top PTO hole? Any tips and tricks would be appreciated :thankyou2:

Last edited:
You can't get 6 in the tranny without taking off the shifter and filling from the top (to my knowledge). That is how I did it and it only takes about 10 minutes and a 8mm or so socket to take all freaking 20 of those little bolts out. Screw the hand pump. Just open it up and dump it in as fast as you can pour it. I changed my xfer on the ground while doing a clutch swap, so you're on your own there. $.02

I do the same thing with the tranny. Mines only an NV4500, but it still will only allow 3 quarts from the side.. and I put 4 in.

B.A.Ram said:
Got my Amsoil in, just need to know what I need to make this job easier. How many quarts in front, how many in back? I know it's 6 in the tranny. Do I need any RTV to re-seal the diffs? Should I buy a hand pump to be able to put the tranny fluid in the top PTO hole? Any tips and tricks would be appreciated :thankyou2:
3--front
4--rear
6-7 in the tranny, but the shift tower has to come off
t-case will take about 3qt's.
gaskets can be substituted for rtv, just make sure it's all very clean and dry.

the amsoil hand pump is a wonderfull thing too.
have fun!

awesome, thanks for the info guys. I did my x-fer case not too long ago so just tranny and difs. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy any gaskets. I drain the tranny by taking out the bottom pto bolt correct?

if you have ramps or a jack, or even a hill, lean the truck to the side you take the bolt out, you will get alot more of the old fluid out by leaning the truck over if possible.

getblown5.9 said:
if you have ramps or a jack, or even a hill, lean the truck to the side you take the bolt out, you will get alot more of the old fluid out by leaning the truck over if possible.

Got a fleet of forklifts and a big loader at my disposal....:evil