whats needed to run a 47re in a 12v fummins?

TRUBBS

Can You Keep Up?
im plannin on doing a 12v swap into my '99 6 speed soon & was going to orginaly use my zf6 but for the price of the adpater plate/dual disc clutch/and to get my 6speed rebuilt (syncro's & 3rd-6th is worn down pretty bad) i decided it would be a better option to just do an auto swap as this will be my daily driver & drag queen (dual discs arent the best to speed shift with) now my question is, what all do i need to round up to run the dodge transmision behind a 12valve? thank you any input is always apreciated

I just posted a question like this so watch it as well.

The RE trans is the electronic one and only needs a few wires to run from what I have heard. I will say that the engine, computer and harness I have is a 98 which was made for a 47RE from the factory. I also opted to go this route because all the adapters, flex plates, and cost of teh PCS computer to control the ford trans was expensive. I plan on using the factory computer from my 98 12V to control the trans. It has the harness to control the trans.

I am not finished with my build so I am not sure if I need to feed it a speed signal to shift properly or not (I expect the trans has one to make this seemless.)

By the way. NOt sure if you are deadset on a 47RE but if you dont have the harness and computer to run it then you would be better off using a 47RH. The RH is hydraulic and will not need electronics to run. Do some searching on that as I think that is what you need and will be simple to run. It is almost the same trans as the 47RE but does not have electronics to run so you can build it up to hold power just like the 47RE.

With our swaps it has been more cost effective, cleaner and a great finished result to use the RH as opposed to an RE. The RH overdrive sections are all similiar from Dakotas, gas rams and older non-lockup transmissions to the actual diesel/V10 47RH. RH valvebodies are common. The interchange on dodge autos is very good. The part that hasn't always been easy to locate is a diesel governor weight setup to convert a gas RH overdrive section. Thankfully the weights are very simple. They can be duplicated with a lathe and drug dealer scale (If you have a set of diesel weights to copy).

Converting the RE to an RH is a straightforward process. Simpler than cleanly installing the dodge computer and sensors for the RE.

awsome info. learned something new today, i new their was a diffrence between the th and re but didnt know what it was. so if i got the rh route ill just have to stick the tranny in behing the 12valve and not havething else to hook up to run it, well other then the gear shifter? it hink i may just go with that rh.

what t-case if everyone using with the dodge tranny?

Install a 23 spline input in your superduty 271/273 and bolt it to any dodge automatic.

the more i been thinking about it the more i decided i wana run the RE so i can control the lock up and what not.

thanks for the info on the t-case!

what parts can be swapped between the two tranny's? just thinking if i wana go ahead with the rH to get the project done first and then switch over to the rE later one. just wondering what parts i could use to make the rH hold up and then switch over and put in the rE when the time is right?

What advantage are you banking on to an RE over the hydraulic RH? The RH does a fine job of shifting 1-2-3 as does the RE. OD and lockup can be configured anyway you want in the RH. The RE you don't have as many options. All the same mods apply to both trannies.

What advantage are you banking on to an RE over the hydraulic RH? The RH does a fine job of shifting 1-2-3 as does the RE. OD and lockup can be configured anyway you want in the RH. The RE you don't have as many options. All the same mods apply to both trannies.

to be 100% honest, im mainly wanting the rE for the abbility to manualy lock the converter with a switch and (i dont know much about dodge tranny's, im a ford guy) i heard that the rH's dont have overdrive and i want OD for long trips and what not

Hey FYI the RH does have overdrive section and you can put a switch in the cab or on the shifter to activate.

thank you! thats what i was unsure of. i think no matter which one i chosse (it keeps looking more and more like the rH) Ill just wire it into a stock ford shifter lever OD switch.

When it comes to controlling the o/d and converter lockup the rh and re work the same way. I would agree with the guys that say the rh is easier to install. One 12v pos. wire,one o/d wire switched to ground, one lockup switched to ground, kickdown cable, and reverse lights. DONE. Some parts in these trannys are interchangeable. Actual housings and valvebodies are not.

When it comes to controlling the o/d and converter lockup the rh and re work the same way. I would agree with the guys that say the rh is easier to install. One 12v pos. wire,one o/d wire switched to ground, one lockup switched to ground, kickdown cable, and reverse lights. DONE. Some parts in these trannys are interchangeable. Actual housings and valvebodies are not.

so you CAN control the lockup on an rH?

All 94-95 RH's are lockup. Both lock & OD can be controlled with simple switched grounds. 1-3 are regular hydraulic just like a 727. 96-up RE's require some type of a computer for 1-3, but OD & lock can be switched like the RH.

All 94-95 RH's are lockup. Both lock & OD can be controlled with simple switched grounds. 1-3 are regular hydraulic just like a 727. 96-up RE's require some type of a computer for 1-3, but OD & lock can be switched like the RH.

thank you for clearing that up for me, looks like i will be going for the rh after all, now just got to find one to start building up to hold the motor lol